Bread

Libralady

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hello I am asking about best bread for type 2 Diabetics. My husband age 78 has had type 2 for some years. He has never been good at controlling his blood sugar. I am not diabetic but to lose weight but mainly because of my ibs I eat Hovis Nimble wholemeal. I was wondering if anyone knows whether at 8 or 9 grams carb per two slices this would be suitable it is mainly as he likes a sandwich at lunchtime or is he best keeping to other wholemeal breads. He won't eat granary or anything with seeds as he says they get stuck in his dentures. I am really trying to help him but he his old fashioned and likes traditional meals and chips. Our son who has had type I since he was two years old. Has at age 52 lost part of his leg and foot due to an infection and high sugar levels control. He was in hospital over 2months and we nearly lost him at one time because they also found a burst ulcer. I do not want to frighten my husband But I know these problems can affect type 2 as as well. I have been looking at the different diets and considering with him which ones wuld be best. He needs to lost weight only really large stomach. He was always slim he blames weight gain on giving up smoking 16 years ago he has asthma so thank heavens he did. He hardly ever drinks alcohol. Any advice woud be helpful.

Nimble Wholemeal seems to be 8.1g per slice @Libralady so 16.2g for two slices. That’s lower than some breads. Does he test his blood sugar? That will really be the guide as to whether it suits him.

Hello I am asking about best bread for type 2 Diabetics. My husband age 78 has had type 2 for some years. He has never been good at controlling his blood sugar. I am not diabetic but to lose weight but mainly because of my ibs I eat Hovis Nimble wholemeal. I was wondering if anyone knows whether at 8 or 9 grams carb per two slices this would be suitable it is mainly as he likes a sandwich at lunchtime or is he best keeping to other wholemeal breads. He won't eat granary or anything with seeds as he says they get stuck in his dentures. I am really trying to help him but he his old fashioned and likes traditional meals and chips. Our son who has had type I since he was two years old. Has at age 52 lost part of his leg and foot due to an infection and high sugar levels control. He was in hospital over 2months and we nearly lost him at one time because they also found a burst ulcer. I do not want to frighten my husband But I know these problems can affect type 2 as as well. I have been looking at the different diets and considering with him which ones wuld be best. He needs to lost weight only really large stomach. He was always slim he blames weight gain on giving up smoking 16 years ago he has asthma so thank heavens he did. He hardly ever drinks alcohol. Any advice woud be helpful.
That bread is very comparable to other low carb bread and probably better that some of the other wholemeal bread and less of a problem than the chips.
What dietary regime will be suitable will depend on what medication he is on but is there any reason why you couldn't both have the same meals as that will be much easier for you.
When I adopted a low carb approach my other half got on board and we have the same meals, he just has a few extras which are not part of the meals. I followed the principals in this link https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

That bread is very comparable to other low carb bread and probably better that some of the other wholemeal bread and less of a problem than the chips.
What dietary regime will be suitable will depend on what medication he is on but is there any reason why you couldn't both have the same meals as that will be much easier for you.
When I adopted a low carb approach my other half got on board and we have the same meals, he just has a few extras which are not part of the meals. I followed the principals in this link https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Thank you I will look at that link

Nimble Wholemeal seems to be 8.1g per slice @Libralady so 16.2g for two slices. That’s lower than some breads. Does he test his blood sugar? That will really be the guide as to whether it suits him.
Yes my mistake it is 8.1 per slice so 16.2 for 2 slices. He does reluctantly tests his blood sugar usually me reminding him usually morning before breakfast is 7.8 is. But 2 hours later could be 11. This morning I made him scrambled egg on one slice of wholemeal toast 16 arms carb and 3 small tangerines 5 grm each. Two hours after eating it was 8.8 so much better never that low. I am hoping that when he sees his blood sugar levels go diwn and loses weight he will think it is worth it. It will be hard though.

I would suggest upping the number of eggs for breakfast, adding mushrooms if liked, as that would not increase the carbs for that part of the meal, and cutting down the fruit, or even not supplying it.
Maybe analysing the carbs in foods eaten and swapping something lower where possible - I have swede or cauliflower rather than potatoes, avoid grain, baked my own cakes and biscuits, but now have lost the habit of eating them.
I lot an awful lot of weight in the early days (I needed to) but it was really easy just by eating low carb.
I just set up a full length mirror in the bedroom and decided to go on a strict diet for a few weeks - and my annual blood test is approaching so it will be interesting to see how that is affected too.
I have had to change my wardrobe regularly each year since diagnosis as my shape changes - I will never get back to a 24 inch waist, but I was almost spherical at diagnosis so am trying the shakes diet for a few weeks.

I haven't yet worked out my attitude to bread or my bodies response to it. If I go to a cafe and choices are all high carb I will have a sandwich. I buy bread occasionally and if I do I buy M and S robust rye. This is because if I bought my favourite granary I would eat too much. I like it with thin slice smoked salmon and cream cheese and have it as an open sandwich eg one slice. However it may be too dense for your husbands tastes and dentures.

I am a bit sad that many of my favourite traditional meals such as fish pie maybe no more. I was only diagnosed in July and have enjoyed lots of fish and vegetables but when it is colder I will need to think more carefully. I have, pre diabetes, made shepherd's pie with a carrot and swede topping as a change.

I found the things on the freshwell site when first diagnosed very interesting and it includes a picture categorising various food stuffs. I'm the child of smokers my mum gave up before dad and became quite anti smoking. Dad gave up reluctantly and always missed it.
Your husband is very lucky to have you cherishing him and caring about his wellbeing

I haven't yet worked out my attitude to bread or my bodies response to it. If I go to a cafe and choices are all high carb I will have a sandwich. I buy bread occasionally and if I do I buy M and S robust rye. This is because if I bought my favourite granary I would eat too much. I like it with thin slice smoked salmon and cream cheese and have it as an open sandwich eg one slice. However it may be too dense for your husbands tastes and dentures.

I am a bit sad that many of my favourite traditional meals such as fish pie maybe no more. I was only diagnosed in July and have enjoyed lots of fish and vegetables but when it is colder I will need to think more carefully. I have, pre diabetes, made shepherd's pie with a carrot and swede topping as a change.

I found the things on the freshwell site when first diagnosed very interesting and it includes a picture categorising various food stuffs. I'm the child of smokers my mum gave up before dad and became quite anti smoking. Dad gave up reluctantly and always missed it.
Your husband is very lucky to have you cherishing him and caring about his wellbeing
You could use a mixture of mashed cauliflower and broccoli as the topping for your fish pie and scatter a mixture of breadcrumbs, parsley and parmesan on top.

@Leadinglights I will learn more and make adjustments. At the moment I have found it easier to cut out. I'm eating a lot of fish and don't eat fish pie often it is more a winter thing for me. I like cauli and had it mushroom and carrot with my sea trout last night. I haven't tried cauli rice yet but probably will. Your idea sounds good. Celeriac would probably work well too but it's a pain to prepare cauli is much easier.

I would suggest upping the number of eggs for breakfast, adding mushrooms if liked, as that would not increase the carbs for that part of the meal, and cutting down the fruit, or even not supplying it.
Maybe analysing the carbs in foods eaten and swapping something lower where possible - I have swede or cauliflower rather than potatoes, avoid grain, baked my own cakes and biscuits, but now have lost the habit of eating them.
I lot an awful lot of weight in the early days (I needed to) but it was really easy just by eating low carb.
I just set up a full length mirror in the bedroom and decided to go on a strict diet for a few weeks - and my annual blood test is approaching so it will be interesting to see how that is affected too.
I have had to change my wardrobe regularly each year since diagnosis as my shape changes - I will never get back to a 24 inch waist, but I was almost spherical at diagnosis so am trying the shakes diet for a few weeks.
Thank you. I am not that tech thought I had replied to you but cannot see it. My husband loves mushrooms unlike me. I did wonder about fruit I think he eats too much so have told him to cut down. Yes I am starting to replace potatoes for him with veg. I hate mash or boiled so never have them so it should be ok for both of us. Good luck with the diet you seem to be winning. Yes I know about wardrobes I lost 4 stone whilst waiting for gallbladder surgery during the pandemic. I had to eat very low fat. Put most of it back on after surgery. Now I am dieting slowly and have lost about 21 ibs. Good luck with shakes diet. He tested his blood sugar about 2 and a half hours after lunch and it was 7.1

Thank you. I am not that tech thought I had replied to you but cannot see it. My husband loves mushrooms unlike me. I did wonder about fruit I think he eats too much so have told him to cut down. Yes I am starting to replace potatoes for him with veg. I hate mash or boiled so never have them so it should be ok for both of us. Good luck with the diet you seem to be winning. Yes I know about wardrobes I lost 4 stone whilst waiting for gallbladder surgery during the pandemic. I had to eat very low fat. Put most of it back on after surgery. Now I am dieting slowly and have lost about 21 ibs. Good luck with shakes diet. He tested his blood sugar about 2 and a half hours after lunch and it was 7.1
That is a good result so you should both be pleased with that.

Yes he was pleased and so was I. Before lunch his bs was 5.1 that is a first. He is due for a Diabetes check on 2nd of October. Last time our gp threatened him with going on insulin if his yearly HBA1C test had not improved. That would mean telling the DVLA and the withdrawal of his licence until the gp was satisfied no bad hypos. I am concerned that at age nearly 79 DVLA would not want him to drive at all. I am hoping that out gp will give him another chance to sort it out. I am trying to make meals varied eating eggs about 3 times a week for breakfast also wheatabix or porridge with fruit. Can you recommend a cook book for meals or am I best looking on this site. He loves shepherd's pie but I hate mashed potato however if I use parsnip and carrot I too can eat this. I am suggesting 30 grams per meal plus 10 grams snacks making 90 for meals plus 30 for snacks. According to what I have read that us a low carb diet. I know that completely cutting cards won't work for him. Our son was son 2years old when diagnosed with type 1 this was 1974. It was all 10 grm portions of carb and the syringes were glass and sterilised in meth spirit how things have changed. Unfortunately and you may have read my other posts he has recently spent 2 months in hospital with bad control of blood sugars infected leg. After 50 years for some reason he did not look after himself and ended up in hospital for 2 months bs through the roof ketoacidosis short time on dialysis burst ulcer lost a lot ouf blood finally sorted and sadly below knee amputation. We had no idea until he ended up on hospital came as a shock and has caused a lot of stress. We live 250miles away. It has been a hard 2 months so knowing this can happen to type 2 I am doing all I can to help my husband to sort his Diabetes out and hopefully lose the belly fat. Thanks for reading

This last post was meant for Leading lights. Sorry not that tech

You can press the Reply button bottom right on a post like I’ve just done with your post above, and then type your comment below it as I’m doing now.

Or you can use a tag like this: @Libralady which means putting an ‘@‘ right in front of their user name. This will alert them that you’re addressing them. It will appear in blue in your post automatically.

I’ll tag @Leadinglights for you 🙂 It sounds like your husband is getting some good results.

This last post was meant for Leading lights. Sorry not that tech

You can press the Reply button bottom right on a post like I’ve just done with your post above, and then type your comment below it as I’m doing now.

Or you can use a tag like this: @Libralady which means putting an ‘@‘ right in front of their user name. This will alert them that you’re addressing them. It will appear in blue in your post automatically.

I’ll tag @Leadinglights for you 🙂 It sounds like your husband is getting some good results.

I have been out all day but the Caldesi or Pinch of Nom cook books are good.
You could try mashed or chopped cooked butternut squash for the shepherds pie topping.
If you gradually introduce a few substitutions and it may not then be such a big change all at once.
There are recipes for both sweet and savoury low carb stuff on sugarfreelondoner web site or in the Freshwell link, https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Hopefully if you can show your GP you are making some effort to make some dietary changes then they may give a bit more time but perhaps the realisation of losing his licence may motivate some changes as well as the positive effect on the test results up to now.

Back