Bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delores

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Just wondering what bread is best. Are ciabatta rolls ok? Also I've been having porridge oats with yoghurt and fruit for breakfast. Thanks for any advice.

Which means you have some insulin resistance, so probably it's about not having too many carbs at a meal to make it easier for your body to handle, and making sure you have some fat and/or protein with them so that absorption is slowed into your blood stream. So I would suggest to look at the carbs and choose lower carb breads.

I saw a link to an advice page on breads for people with gestational diabetes which gave some actual carb numbers per slice if you prefer not to just look at every packet. Edit: https://www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk/best-breads/

It's a matter of taste and effect really. I tried all the low carb breads but in the end settled for just one slice from a 400gm wholemeal loaf (Warburtons or Kingsmill crustless). Anything else spikes my blood glucose. You also need to watch cereals, like porridge, and most fruit as they are high carb as well. As you are pre-diabetic, your best bet is probably to reduce your portion size and have berries rather than tropical fruits.

It's a matter of taste and effect really. I tried all the low carb breads but in the end settled for just one slice from a 400gm wholemeal loaf (Warburtons or Kingsmill crustless). Anything else spikes my blood glucose. You also need to watch cereals, like porridge, and most fruit as they are high carb as well. As you are pre-diabetic, your best bet is probably to reduce your portion size and have berries rather than tropical fruits.
Thanks I make 40g porridge for the day with natural yog low in sugar and carbs with frozen raspberries. That will do me for breakfast then later on if I need a snack.

Almost any type of bread is a carb and so is porridge. These need to be kept down to control weight and blood sugar. Avoid tropical fruit and yogurts that are loaded with sugar.

40gm porridge is 24.2gm carbs. 150ml low sugar plain yogurt is 10.1gm carbs. 80gm portion of frozen raspberries is 3.7gm carbs. That makes your breakfast 38gm carbs which will probably spike your blood glucose. It is suggested that less than 130gm carbs is a low carb eating plan, but that includes absolutely everything - all drinks, sauces, gravy as well as food. I suggest you look at the learning zone (orange tab above) section on food and low carb eating.

The important thing is to recognise which are going to be the big hitters in terms of the amount of carbohydrate and which are not going to make much difference.
By looking to reduce the portions of those high carb foods or make some substitutions then you will be able to make the modest changes to your diet.
The book or app Carbs and Cals is a useful resource for doing that as you can compare the carb value for different portions of foods and meals and find replacements for the high carb components of your meal.

It's so hard to know what to have I don't want to cut everything out. I'll get that app you suggest. Thanks

40gm porridge is 24.2gm carbs. 150ml low sugar plain yogurt is 10.1gm carbs. 80gm portion of frozen raspberries is 3.7gm carbs. That makes your breakfast 38gm carbs which will probably spike your blood glucose. It is suggested that less than 130gm carbs is a low carb eating plan, but that includes absolutely everything - all drinks, sauces, gravy as well as food. I suggest you look at the learning zone (orange tab above) section on food and low carb eating.
Thanks I'll have to rethink. Any suggestions for breakfast please.

Thanks I'll have to rethink. Any suggestions for breakfast please.
I normally have an egg in some form - poached with grilled mushrooms and tomatoes, or an omelette with vegetables like peppers. Another popular breakfast is plain Greek yogurt topped with a few berries, some nuts and seeds. Something I have on the days I am going out to exercise (I can't get into the pool on a full tummy) is an Exante shake. It is made up with water and 18gm carbs, so under the 20gm. I leave it in the fridge for 15 minutes to thicken up. It fits in with my lifestyle and daily carb limit. There is a section on this forum for food and recipe ideas which I suggest you look at, for Type 2 diabetics choice of meals.

By the way I'm pre-diabetic.

Wife was told she prediabetic also, she had gained weight from ill health at time so went about losing weight, lost 5 stone in total & since then all bloods have been normal.

Her diet during weight loss still included bread but only 1 slice, maybe occasionally 2 but smaller loaf slices, so don't give up on it just cut back portion size.

Interestingly over weekend did test her bg on waking & then 2 hours after breakfast as experiement, result was 4.3 then 4.6 later on, breakfast was berries handful of granola & low fat greek yogurt.

That's great. I had this about 3 years ago but then it was ok til this last blood test. The thing is they've not told me my score only that it was pre diabetic. I'm not overweight don't drink or smoke. Walk a lot but I have been snacking on choc and biscuits a bit more. Hopefully I can get this back under control. Just so confusing.

I was a full blown type 2 when diagnosed in 2016.
Today's breakfast was ham with salad stuff and I expect to see normal numbers all the time now. An ordinary type 2 diabetic like me just needs to stop eating high carb foods and can then expect their metabolism to recover.
If discovered in the early stages, it is not such a long way back to normal numbers, but it is still most likely that avoiding high carb foods would be the most effective way to manage blood glucose levels.

I have Lizi's low sugar granola at 45g carb per 100g but still only have about 15g as a topping on Full fat Greek yoghurt with berries for breakfast on some days, other days it is eggs of some sort with bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms or smoked salmon usually with 1 thin slice of homemade bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back