Bread that lasts for 60 days could cut food waste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
An American company has developed a technique that it says can make bread stay mould-free for 60 days.

The bread is zapped in a sophisticated microwave array which kills the spores that cause the problem.

The company claims it could significantly reduce the amount of wasted bread - in the UK alone, almost a third of loaves purchased.

The technique can also be used with a wide range of foods including fresh turkey and many fruits and vegetables.

World of waste
Food waste is a massive problem in most developed countries. In the US, figures released this year suggest that the average American family throws away 40% of the food they purchase - which adds up to $165bn (?102bn) annually.

Bread is a major culprit, with 32% of loaves purchased in the UK thrown out as waste when they could be eaten, according to figures from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20540758

Mmmmm! They can spread some of their 'cheese' on this 'lovely' 60 day old 'bread' and enjoy a wonderful taste experience. 😱

I'll stick to my freshly made small loaf which has never gone mouldy on me (yet).

Andy 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back