Bread: calcium propionate

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM2020

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Here's something that may be interesting. We've got a loaf of Warburton's Original Recipe Farmhouse bread here, with a BBE date of 16th March. I'm used to bread going a bit stale and mouldy this far beyond the date, yet it's still soft and fresh with no mould.

I've just noticed that it has a preservative called calcium propionate, and got a bit inquisitive so started looking it up. Here's where I started:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...randomized, placebo,Index17) as compared with

Interestingly/worryingly it leads to postprandial increases in healthy individuals in both insulin secretion and glucagon.

Have a read up. I'm thinking this is definitely not good for us T1Ds who don't produce our.own insulin as not only will we have to deal with the usually glucose increase associated with the carbs,.but also the increase due to glucagon triggering dumping of glucose into the blood.

Definitely interesting but as the study was only done with 28 men and women on two visits, it is hard to draw any conclusions.
The study is based on the research subjects taking a dose of 1500mg of Calcium Propionate on each visit. I don't know how much is included in one slice of bread and whether it is significant. To my non-scientific mind 1500mg sounds like a lot more than I would expect you would eat each day.

Definitely interesting but as the study was only done with 28 men and women on two visits, it is hard to draw any conclusions.
The study is based on the research subjects taking a dose of 1500mg of Calcium Propionate on each visit. I don't know how much is included in one slice of bread and whether it is significant. To my non-scientific mind 1500mg sounds like a lot more than I would expect you would eat each day.
A much larger study has followed this one.

I'm trying to find the other study I was reading, but out with the dogs at the moment! Another interesting titbit is that calcium propionate is added to some livestock feeds to increase the glucose levels in their milk amongst other reasons.

Last edited:
Here's something that may be interesting. We've got a loaf of Warburton's Original Recipe Farmhouse bread here, with a BBE date of 16th March. I'm used to bread going a bit stale and mouldy this far beyond the date, yet it's still soft and fresh with no mould.

I've just noticed that it has a preservative called calcium propionate, and got a bit inquisitive so started looking it up. Here's where I started:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8314753/#:~:text=In our pilot, randomized, placebo,Index17) as compared with

Interestingly/worryingly it leads to postprandial increases in healthy individuals in both insulin secretion and glucagon.

Have a read up. I'm thinking this is definitely not good for us T1Ds who don't produce our.own insulin as not only will we have to deal with the usually glucose increase associated with the carbs,.but also the increase due to glucagon triggering dumping of glucose into the blood.

If your worried switch to sourdough bread or better still make your own so you decide what goes in it.

With bread on buying I always freeze it & take slices out as required, keeps nice & fresh that way no wastage.

With bread on buying I always freeze it & take slices out as required, keeps nice & fresh that way no wastage.

Plus freezing apparently converts some of the starch in bread to ‘resistant starch’, like that old cook/cool/reheat pasta trick.

Any idea how much Calcium Propionate would be in a loaf @PeteM2020 so that an approx mg / slice could be estimated?

Perhaps Warburton’s would be happy to share that information if you explained your concerns, and contacted them directly?

Just checked the loaves we have in, and the Asda seedy/sliced loaf doesn’t include that particular ingredient.

Warburton’s bagels do though… So perhaps it’s a warburtons thing?

According to this site, the normal amount of calcium propionate in baked goods is 1 to 3 grams per kg of flour, so well below the levels indicated in the study quoted further upthread.

Edited to add link.

If your worried switch to sourdough bread or better still make your own so you decide what goes in it.
Sadly most supermarket sourdough is not real sourdough and any real sourdough loaves are very expensive.
Not everyone has the skills, time (sourdough takes more than 24 hours) to make their own.
As a recent Guardian article mentioned, bread making is something mostly done by middle class people with time, money and facilities.

Edited to add that I am one those annoying middle class bread makers and this is today's creation - a "Mill loaf" made with sourdough, white, wholemeal and rye flour plus a bit of salt and water.

Attachments

• PXL_20240324_095312024.jpg
    PXL_20240324_095312024.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back