Bread and cheese problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritfree

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I know cheese spikes my bg's but now bread is also spiking me. I'm not a big eater but I do love my cheese toasties for lunch. Does anyone have any ideas how I should bolus for this?

Prebolus, so allow enough time for insulin to get going before eating, that usually is enough to avoid spikes.

Example on most meals I bolus 20mins before which dampens spikes.

First just do a check that you have the right carb count for the toasties along with any accompaniments, such as chutney, which can vary in carbs per 100gm, or be applied more generously than estimated. We have a particular pre-sliced rye bread which I love and sometimes the slices are a fair bit thicker than the given amount of carbs per slice on th packaging. Once I realised this, I can now spot a loaf that has less slices than usual and thus take that increased slice weight into account. If you're not making these at home, then it is more difficult to be sure of the carb consistency.

Second cheese toasties are particularly fat laden and this could be slowing down your digestion, such that the carbs are arriving into your blood towards the end or even after the bolus has dissipated. Close monitoring of your Libre should help you reveal this and if so conside a post bolus for cheese toasties, rather rhan pre-bolus.

Thirdly, over time, your ratios can change. For yourself as a relatively new T1, is your pancreas just naturally reducing its release of insulin and you need more insulin? Have you been enjoying a honeymoon period that is now easing off?

Or, toasties are just one of those pleasures that need more bolus. By trial and error just gently increase your insulin for toasties until you find a good fit. We are all different and respond to different things in different ways; with so many inter-related factors that can affect our BG, managing D is as much of an art as a science. I'm sure others will have other explanations or solutions and that is the strength of this forum - albeit that a lot of different answers can also confuse! I find it's a constant wrestle in what sometimes feels like a daily changing scenario.

I find the fat in the cheese delays absorption so need a split bolus rather than ore bolus. A cheese toastie (which I love too,) is like pizza - high carbs and high fat - so I take half nsulin when I start eating and the rest after an hour.

I find the fat in the cheese delays absorption so need a split bolus rather than ore bolus. A cheese toastie (which I love too,) is like pizza - high carbs and high fat - so I take half nsulin when I start eating and the rest after an hour.
Cheese is life

I know cheese spikes my bg's but now bread is also spiking me. I'm not a big eater but I do love my cheese toasties for lunch. Does anyone have any ideas how I should bolus for this?
I use Fiasp and find using 80/20 split over 2 hours works fine.
Have you actually done any basal testing to make sure your basal is correct?

I think cheese is unlikely to be raising your BG levels as it generally has negligible carbohydrate in it.

The bread in the cheese toasties will need to be covered by your meal insulin.

If these raised BGs have only started happening recently, it is possible that your insulin needs have changed? This can happen at various times of the year, and several forum members find that they need less insulin in spring/summer months, and a little more during autumn/winter.

Have you checked your basal dose recently (there’s a guide to testing your basal here https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/ )

It might be that a tweak to your basal would see your meal ratios and correction factors working well again?

Cheese is life

Second that, love cheese, preference is strong mature cheddar & blue cheeses.

Could eat a block at a time, once over when eating it bg would gradually go up over few hours, took while to figure out that cheese meats also effect bg just like carbs do.

In the absence of carbs your body will turn protein into glucose. Personally I love cheese and can eat it with no problems, but OMG... Bread! I've never found a way to eat bread without spiking. I love it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back