Brain cells can suppress appetite, study in mice shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Scientists have discovered a central hub of brain cells that may put the brakes on a desire to eat, a study in mice shows.

And switching on these neurons can stop feeding immediately, according to the Nature Neurosciences report.

Researchers say the findings may one day contribute to therapies for obesity and anorexia.

Experts say this sheds light on the many complex nerve circuits involved in appetite control.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28486092

Scientists have discovered a central hub of brain cells that may put the brakes on a desire to eat, a study in mice shows.

Similar studies show that we do indeed have the brake mechanisms to eating, but that there is a delay in operating.

So, for example, you eat and still feel hungry so you eat more.
However, if you eat and sit through the feeling hungry for 20 minutes, the brakes are likely to kick in and you no longer feel hungry.

Similar studies show that we do indeed have the brake mechanisms to eating, but that there is a delay in operating.

So, for example, you eat and still feel hungry so you eat more.
However, if you eat and sit through the feeling hungry for 20 minutes, the brakes are likely to kick in and you no longer feel hungry.

I'm usually OK during the day and can control my hunger pangs (in part due to a reluctance to inject for the sake of a few carbs), but in the evening I am continually hungry. I'm wondering if it's related to tiredness as I'm usually up very early and start to flag in the evenings - snacking seems to help keep me going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back