Boy's chest left open for five days in heart operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A British boy of three had his chest left open for five days with his beating heart on view after a pioneering ten-hour operation to flip his heart around.

The parents of Carson Ayre, who was born with his heart back to front, kept a bedside vigil as surgeons waited for swelling on the organ to go down before closing his chest.

His mother Danicka, 27, and father Luke, 25, watched even filmed a video of Carson's heart beating.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11245173

Wow...in absolute awe of what can be done these days.
My brother was born with a hole in his heart 55 years ago (I never met him...im 45) and he was operated on when he was a year old...but unfortunately died soon after.Little was known about the defect in those days I guess but in this day and age its amazing what they can do and an operation to correct a hole in the heart is now a fairly routine op🙂

It depends on where the hole is Jo. My bro-in-law's little bro had one and he was 30+ when they repaired it!

Funnily enough he and his wife didn't have children - there was no medical reason, it was clearly just never going to happen, so they'd given up birth control years and years before that.

Whilst he was recuperating - she conceived and they had a daughter.

They all swore where he worked he'd not had a heart op but an infusion of 'lead' !

Haha!! I like that...they put some 'lead in his pencil' .What a great story :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back