Both Blood test show 49, what next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all. I'm a 47 year old male about 8 stone overweight. About 5 years ago I was told I was pre-diabetic. My fault entirely, I've not acted on this and although I tried a few times, I've ended up putting in weight.

I recently asked my GP surgery for tests as I was feeling really tired all of the time. I've not seen my GP but they asked for blood 2 weeks apart. I've been told over the phone both tests showed a result of 49. I'm told anyone 48 and above is type 2 diabetic. I've been given an appointment with a nurse in 3 weeks time but currently haven't been given any info on what happens next.

Will this be an appointment to discuss health and lifestyle changes and or other things like medication?

Sorry for the bland question, I was hoping to see my health advisor sooner than 3 weeks.

Hi welcome
With an HbA1C of 49mmol/mol you are just on the first rung of the diabetes ladder so it a really good position to bring it down with some lifestyle changes. It would be better at this point to do that rather than take medication as those changes are necessary even with medication. Losing your excess weight will be a good step and this link is a low carbohydrate approach which people have found successful in both losing weight and reducing blood glucose. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
I would suspect that if you lose weight then blood glucose will come down as a result.
Have a look at the Learning zone here also and prepare any questions you have in time for your appointment.

You are so lucky to be 'found out' so close to normal numbers - you could not know yourself in a year or so.
If you are a typical ordinary type 2, like me, then the problem is most likely going to be the amount of carbohydrate in the diet.
We are told it is healthy to have whole grain and whole wheat and lots of fruit and veges - unfortunately some of us end up almost spherical.
I am really sensitive to carbs, always have been, but it is so difficult to get through to people that carbs don't suit me at all. Atkins was what made me feel best and brightest, it still is.
As your Hba1c is only 49 just cutting out a high carb food or drink, or cutting down just a bit on all of them could be all you need to do.
My Hba1c was 91 so I needed to go back to Atkins, and in 6 months I was no longer diabetic, so it is very effective. I had also lost a lot of weight without even trying. My waist shrank by a foot.
I eat meat, fish and seafood, eggs cheese, full fat dairy - coffee with cream, and I am still changing shape after over 5 years now. I keep needing to buy new clothes or make new ones, or adjust the ones I made last year. I walk a lot more now, and although I have caught Covid 4 times now I seem to have survived quite well.

I walk a lot more now, and although I have caught Covid 4 times now I seem to have survived quite well.
Crickey 4 times!

As everyone else has said you can make changes now before you see the nurse.

What helps me be honest about what I eat is tracking my food, it's not fun at all but helps me keep on top of my levels and I need to watch my cholesterol, weight is not an issue for me.

Lower carbs, better diet and walking will do you the world of good, and will help you mentally as well as physically

Welcome to the forum @bigmo

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis with diabetes, and the delay between now and when you will be getting an appointment to get you started :(

Diabetes UK has put together the Learning Zone (orange tab in the main menu) which has lots of bite-sized modules you can work through at your own pace.

Feel free to keep asking question here too - nothing will be considered too obvious or ‘silly’, and folks here know all too well how overwhelming and confusing it can be to be facing this diagnosis. For a bit of background reading, members here frequently recommend Maggie Davey’s Letter and Gretchen Becker’s book T2 Diabetes, the first year, which have helped lots of forum newcomers over the years.

One of the biggest questions when trying to get to grips with your diabetes is often ‘what can I eat’ and while there are obvious things like cakes, biscuits, sweets and sugary drinks that you will want to cut out straight away, you might be surprised how much *all* carbohydrate affects your BG levels, including rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, pastry, grains, cereals and many fruits.

At 49mmol/mol you are only just over the diabetes dividing line, so you may find that working on weight loss and portion control could see some significant improvements in your blood glucose management 🙂

Good luck and let us know how you get on 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back