Borderline Personality Disorder and diabetes type two

Status
Not open for further replies.

LettyM79

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am struggling to cope with being diagnosed as Diabetic type 2 when my impulsive flick switch says who cares and eat loads of sugar when my mood is low. What can I do to help myself?

Welcome to the forum. You are in a bit of a chicken and egg situation as high blood glucose can affect mood as it affects all the cells in the body including the brain. Getting you blood glucose well managed whether that be with dietary changes with the help of medication if needed would be helpful.
Finding things you like which are low carbohydrate as more sugary or high carb foods will not help. There are plenty of alternatives which would be just as satisfying. Cheese, strawberries and cream, nuts, Nature Valley protein bars, veg sticks and dips, yogurts or Kvarg deserts, a square of dark chocolate, a nice cup of coffee with cream.
Looking at your overall diet and making some changes to focus on. Have a look at this link for some ideas. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Welcome to the forum @LettyM79

It must be very tricky trying to manage your diabetes, and come to terms with your diagnosis alongside Borderline Personality Disorder. :(

Have you received a formal diagnosis? And are you accessing any psychotherapy to help you with your BPD?

It sounds like mentalisation-based therapy might be helpful, to give you tools and strategies to ‘think about your thinking‘ and recognise that your impulses are not a great idea - to give you time to choose not to, rather than obeying your impulses.

Hi I have both diagnosis along with other conditions and it is really hard, I had to figure out triggers and foods I turned to when distressed, I saw a Dietican as well and still have contact at times, I found slow steady changes and goals helped quite a bit so if I relapsed then it was easier to re establish goals. I don’t ban anyone food but know some such as sweetners make me crave more sugar, I don’t drink which has helped a lot.

I am struggling to cope with being diagnosed as Diabetic type 2 when my impulsive flick switch says who cares and eat loads of sugar when my mood is low. What can I do to help myself?

I am sorry to hear about this double diagnosis

Are you getting any therapy to help you manage your condition ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back