Boozing

Status
Not open for further replies.

FieldD88

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Type 1 diabetic. I was told in hospital by my dietician that if I have plenty of beers, when I get hoke I should have some toast so that whilst I sleep my blood doesn't drop below 4.

With this in mind. Do I need to inject Novorapid?

Hi,
Difficult to advise, another similar question to this in a different thread suggests we really differ in how we react to alcohol and to which type.
Myself ale sends me high very quick so I bolus 1.5u for a pint with Novorapid. Also reducing my basal or even skip it (probably not advised).
I’d suggest to see what drinking a half does to you and react to that.
Having toast before bed sounds like good advice without knowing how you’d react. You don’t want a hypo while not in the best of states.

If you do need a bedtime snack I'd not bolus for it (I always used to need one when a student and out lots, but different insulins so hard to compare) and if you're already high don't have a snack, but hard to know whether to try to correct it. Depends how high I think - I'd probably do a small correction if above 11 mmol/l, but no where as much as I'd normally need - the worst that will happen is that you run high overnight and learn something about how alcohol affects you, which is much better than going hypo while drunk and asleep!

No, I wouldn’t bolus for it. It’s to stop a drop later on so adding more insulin would defeat the purpose @FieldD88

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back