Booking follow up appointments

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyb0y

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in January. I had the initial blood test to confirm the diagnosis, met with the diabetes nurse and had an eye exam. It was explained to me that I would need a further blood test in 3 months time aswell as another meeting with the diabetes nurse. I just wanted to ask, will I be contacted by my GP surgery when my next blood test/appointment is due or do I need to book these myself?
Many thanks

I wasn't. I had to book it myself, and I was told that it was my responsibility to book regular tests.

In the current NHS climate, you are probably well advised to prompt them by making an appointment or, if you have "SystemOnline" at your surgery, you may be able to send the appropriate clinician (probably the diabetes nurse) a message to prompt them to make you an appointment. It depends how "challenging" your practice appointments booking system is as to which route is best to take. I find it easier if the clinician makes me the appointment and then lets me know when I need to attend rather than trying to get an appointment through the guardians of the gates ie. Receptionists.
Having said that the receptionists at my surgery are really pretty good, but the phone lines can be busy for quite long spells and the online systems seem to work really efficiently, so if they have an online booking system, it is worth using it in my experience.

It varies from surgery to surgery, you need to contact your surgery.

Having said that, I got a text message today telling me to book a test for B12 checks.

Mine chase me.
But I also ring them to book anything that isn't scheduled, so the answer is it's both for me.

It seems that things vary significantly between different areas and/or GP practices. I asked what support was available when I was diagnosed and was told to go look on-line. A bit scary as not everyone is tech savvy or has internet access.

If I want a blood test I email reception, who ask the GP and I get a text , telling me the test is due and to ring reception to book in. It used to annoy me- now I know how it works so I just go with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back