Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Morning all, another conundrum,

Can a basal that’s too high influence your bolus timing to the point of starting a fast drop the minute it becomes active?

I do not fully understand your question.
Are you asking if basal can cause a drop as soon as you inject it?
Or are you asking if a high basal will make your bolus work faster?

To my understanding neither are likely.

But there again, you are suggesting that diabetes will be able to explain everything tweak and twitch in our BG whereas sometimes we have to accept that it is just "the wrong socks"!

I do not fully understand your question.
Are you asking if basal can cause a drop as soon as you inject it?
Or are you asking if a high basal will make your bolus work faster?

To my understanding neither are likely.

But there again, you are suggesting that diabetes will be able to explain everything tweak and twitch in our BG whereas sometimes we have to accept that it is just "the wrong socks"!
I’m asking if a high basal will make my bolus work faster? Lol
I have to task these questions as I’m only 3 years in so don’t have a life time of experience that most types 1 have. I’m not to know if there’s an explaination or not. ‍♀️ Events like this are making it so difficult for me to grasp and universal credit are expecting me to function like normal and don’t understand that I can’t carry on as normal and be spontaneous when I’ve just had a meal and battle blood sugars going low when they shouldn’t be.

Hmm, I thought there was some evidence to suggest that IoB enhances the effect of later injected insulin (and not just because the effectiveness of insulin also tends to be higher when blood sugar is lower, which I think it due to the effect on fat cells), certainly there was something I read iirc in an explanation of one of the DIY pumping algorithms to suggest that doing a small pre-bolus would enhance the effect of the main bolus (so I now try to do this myself.) I'd assume that having more basal on-board would achieve the same thing.

If my basal is too high, I find myself going low after meals @gillrogers and/or tending towards low sugars a lot. Like if you have a wonky shopping trolley that pulls to one side - that’s how I think of it. Ideally, you’d get your basal right enough that your trolley goes pretty straight.

I’m asking if a high basal will make my bolus work faster?
No it won’t make your bolus work faster. Your bolus acts at its normal speed. But having your basal too high can make blood sugars drop during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back