Bolus adjustment with Guardian 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesky

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, as you know I’m trialing the sensor before signing up to self fund.
I just went in to the bolus menu and the pump suggests a small insulin adjustment.
I’m not eating as before bed, I’ve calibrated with BG. Do I need to give the suggested bolus or will the pump do it automatically at some point? I’m a bit confused as what to do in this situation?

If you go into bolus wizard, and the pump is suggesting an reduction then it will do it if there are some carbs. If it is suggesting some insulin needed it will do it for you in bolus wizard. i was surprised at how the pump settled things out at night,and I tend to wake on target or near there each morning without doing anything except going with what the pump suggests.

i Found some things very strange to start with but once a I started to trust the pump to do it’s work I began to understand what it was doing.

If you go into bolus wizard, and the pump is suggesting an reduction then it will do it if there are some carbs. If it is suggesting some insulin needed it will do it for you in bolus wizard. i was surprised at how the pump settled things out at night,and I tend to wake on target or near there each morning without doing anything except going with what the pump suggests.

i Found some things very strange to start with but once a I started to trust the pump to do it’s work I began to understand what it was doing.

Thank you
Its all a bit brain draining at the moment.
Trying to let it’s do it’s thing but it’s hard to sit on your hands at times!

I took a long time to get used to the pump, partly because I was switching from another manufacturer, and also it took time to understand the pump and trust it to do what I had been doing for a long while, much of it without realising.

I reread my reply @Bluesky about the boluses and didn’t think it was that clear.

The basal insulin is made up of the small amounts of insulin based on the average delivery over the previous 6 days. The pump then checks in and turns this down a bit or suspends it as necessary To try to get you at your chosen target level. If you look at the graph on your pump or phone those are the pink bits at the top. If the pump can see that you need a bit more at times it does an autocorrection. the blue bits on the graph.

There are times when you might notice you are a bit higher than you would like. If you go to the Home Screen with the shield and click the down button it will sometimes suggest a correction. If it does then go to the deliver bolus and confirm. this occurs when perhaps I underestimated my carbs or not had time to pre-bolus. Sometimes I am surprised that it does not suggest a correction but that it is because it is checking what active insulin it has already. The meal bolus works as before, taking account of active insulin and carbs.

How long is your trial? I reckon it took me a couple of months running in Smart Guard before I felt comfortable with it, but now would not want to go back to manual mode.

I am away next week and may not have wifi, so might not pick up your questions as quickly.
The telephone support team are brilliant and very patient.

Hope you get on well with the sensors @Bluesky

I self-funded Enlites, and later G3 sensors, and found it worked well for me to restart the sensors to get an additional week(ish) out of it. I think it worked out slightly cheaper than the subscription model, even with the additional cost of the transmitter.

Hope you get on well with the sensors @Bluesky

I self-funded Enlites, and later G3 sensors, and found it worked well for me to restart the sensors to get an additional week(ish) out of it. I think it worked out slightly cheaper than the subscription model, even with the additional cost of the transmitter.
Thanks for your reply
I’ve read about people extending the sensors but at the moment I don’t think my nerves could take it!! Perhaps when I’m more confident I’ll give it a go I need to learn to trust it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back