Body temperature regulation in diabetes - PMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnSebastian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Body temperature regulation in diabetes - PMC

Has anyone experienced ‘overheating’ with T1 or T2 diabetes?

Long before I had a diagnosis of T2 diabetes I developed a tendency to periods of unwanted ‘overheating’. It was overwhelming. Tried HRT and other ideas but nothing stopped it. It diminished my life. More recently I’ve seen articles connecting this with Diabetes.

I bought an Air Conditioning unit to use when it got really bad. But it only helped a bit. Browsing the internet I came across ‘humidity’ - something I’d never noticed before. I had cavity wall insulation installed a few years ago. It’s made my home warmer than I probably wanted - sometimes it’s like a sauna. Happened to come across ‘humidity’ in another Google search. Bought a cheap humidity thermometer from eBay. In my home it measures 70% give or take. ‘Comfort’ levels seem to be between 20% and 50% ( some say 20-60%).

Long story short - I ordered a ‘Dehumidifier’. I’ve had it going since yesterday - but switched it off overnight. The ‘humidity’ level was around 70% when I started and now it’s down to 56 and counting. It’s very different to an AC unit - more ‘low key’. But I haven’t been having overheating periods to any extent.

Has anyone else on this site have similar experiences with temperature regulation and T2 diabetes?

At the beginning I thought it was Menopausal ‘hot flashes’. My GP prescribed HRT for a longer period than I probably needed it. But it didn’t stop. Eventually I stopped the HRT myself because it was making absolutely no difference to my ‘overheating‘ and I didn’t seem to have any other serious menopausal symptoms.

Recently, I’ve found several research articles on ‘diabetes and overheating’ But it seems to be relatively new. I’d be very interested to know if many others had developed these symptoms. If I had to choose just one symptom of T2 that had devastated my life, overheating would be it. For all the other symptoms there are options to try to improve them by keeping blood glucose levels under control. But controlling BG doesn’t seem to make much difference to overheating, well not for me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back