• We are improving our news section on our website. Please share your thoughts here: News Survey

Bmmols still high

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Every morning people say that’s the guideline and needs to be the lowest. Mine are still like today 9.9 0n my app it says 8.42mg/dl I guess that’s averaged also then it says estimated A1c 96.91my HbA1c was 76 on last check so am I getting worse not better. I am trying more exercise and have been losing weight on my diet what can I do to lower it more. I am getting quite worried again. I know hypos are worse but I don’t want to just creep up n up again. Any advice will help.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
What medication do you take that might cause hypos?

EllsBells

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Your morning fasting readings are the last to come down. If your readings are coming down during the day, then the fasting readings will come down too at some point. It sounds as though things are moving in the right direction.

Finger prick tests will not help you gauge HbA1c levels until you have literally hundreds of them to go by. Just take things 1 day at a time for now getting the best levels you can each day - it's the old watch the pennies game.The HbA1c will then sort itself out from all the good work you're doing.

Andy HB

I was also interested to know who the 'people' are who say the morning reading is the guideline? I'm not entirely sure that is the case. The body works in various mysterious ways! Recently, I found my first morning reading hasn't been too good for me. But, usually, before lunch my levels haven't been that bad. Also, by the end of the day they have been fine (after my evening walk).

So, it all depends. I wouldn't put too much weight on what 'people' say but more on what you personally experience.

You say that your readings are getting worse. Do you think this is because of anything you are doing/eating or is it despite of your efforts. If it is the latter, then you probably need to chat to your GP about your medication.

Edit:
Just read EllsBells post and heartily agree! :)

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Personally, I see very little point in the apps and meters that guess your HbA1C from finger pricks.
Finger pricks give you a reading at a single point in time and have no idea what happens in between.
If, for example, you take 4 readings a day, they are all ok apart from the fasting one, those fasting readings will be skewing one quarter of the average value which is what HbA1C measures whereas they may only be high for an hour of the day - a twenty-fourth of the HbA1C.

If you are seeing your other readings heading in the right direction, I would ignore the guess (yes I mean guess) you are getting from your meter/app, continue what you are doing and not worry too much.

Last edited:

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Agreed all. Thanks. I do take on board what people say and try and see if what they say evidences with me . Some are at this game a long time and can help. So sorry I might be using you but I am great full. Yes it’s a meter guess . Glad it’s not accurate and will try not to worry . I was on meds but nurse took me off as I was not happy. I fell out with my Gp practice snd not got. Mother yet . I am trying diet alone . Need help to find out how to reduce carbs do low fat and keep the cals down too. I am doing this slowly as I cannot cope . I am doing great with my fitness pal but not the actual low 50 g a day carbs. I want to see it being about 6 not 10 in the morning it was 9.9 on awakening then 10.3 two hours after breakfast. So I guess that’s not to much a jump . I’m just scared with no meds I cannot get it down. I am trying though

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Remind us - for what medical reason are you sticking to a low fat diet?

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am morbidly obese. okay. I am fat etc
I understand type 1 being allowed as they cannot really go into remission and seem to get more Hypos With my type 2 caused by overweight I am really heading for a heart attack. I am trying but have had my head in the sand and really just thought all this would go the way it came.

Last edited:

Martin.A

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was also interested to know who the 'people' are who say the morning reading is the guideline?
I've read somewhere - can't remember where, or when - that the test on waking is useful in that it's a fasting test and shows how well your body is managing your BG in the absence of food or exercise. I agree with everyone that individual results don't tell you anything meaningful but if you record them every day then after a while you'll have enough readings to create a graph that will at least tell you whether your levels are rising, falling or are flat.

Martin

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I do have a graph It typically goes between 5.1 and 12 at the highest so that is better than I had previously. I just want to keep getting lower and as I have had 7.3 in the morning. Don'tknow if this link will work I'll give it a go. It s a report but I can see it but not show here as a graph. https://mail-attachment.googleuserc...hxS0bEEpp-tJpvr_bFtA7HlLVODuv4kxJIRH_2Sv4UuTQ

If you can see it was lower in the morning on the medication but it seems as if it is rising again.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
What medication do you take that might cause hypos?
None but the Nordic walker fitness instructor says it is a possibility as we progress. I am also seriously thinking of taking Liraglutide.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am morbidly obese. okay. I am fat etc
I understand type 1 being allowed as they cannot really go into remission and seem to get more Hypos With my type 2 caused by overweight I am really heading for a heart attack. I am trying but have had my head in the sand and really just thought all this would go the way it came.
One theory I have heard is that for some people it is not being overweight that causes diabetes but insulin resistance that is causing the obesity so the other way round.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
One theory I have heard is that for some people it is not being overweight that causes diabetes but insulin resistance that is causing the obesity so the other way round.
Chicken and egg I think to be honest but I am fat. I let myself go, to be honest. I like a Dr. on one of the reads here he says an example of if you kick the table you will get a bruise. However, that's like saying if you get too fat you get diabetes but he is going on to say why do you kick the table that really is the problem in the first place.. I think that to me sums it up. I think your body does not sort out the sugar and metabolism right in some people hence some thin people can get diabetes but in some, it really stores too much and then cannot cope to get rid of it. My job is to help myself. I have to stop being depressed and woe is me but that when you are depressed is not easy to snap out of. It all takes mindset and time and I am grateful here people have so far been kind.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Before lunch I was feeling great with 5.6 Bmmols then I had the bean and cauliflower soup which was great last time and then half an orange. We went for a walk and I thought I’ll check now after exercise . I said to hubby it’s gone up and it had to a wapping 12.7 would one orange do this and exercise I thought would bring it down . ? Is it orange ? ?

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Exercise can raise your BG levels depending upon the type of exercise and how fit you are. If you are not very fit and you are doing a brisk walk that might raise your levels, but will reduce them over the following 48hours, so don't let that discourage you.
How long after your lunch was this reading? There are also carbs in the beans and if it was a bought soup it may also have potato in it. I assume you didn't have any bread with the soup? So, as regards the carbs in your lunch, not just the half an orange to take into consideration but the contents of the soup too and what did you have to drink with it?

Did you wash your hands before testing? If you had a bit of dried orange juice on your fingers when you tested then that can easily influence the reading and make it erroneously high.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The recipe is on here not tinned or shop bought at all. I had lunch at 1 pm and yes I washed my hands before and after dinner before and after the loo and before I went for my Nordic walk which was brisk snd I am unfit. So that might be it. I washed my hands on return and went to loo them washed again . I then washed them again before doing test. I am a little ocd with Covid and as my hands are dry I’m washing them a lot. So no trace of orange I’ll have to see how it goes. Only orange is low GI as are the beans so carbs and Gi are different too. This is so confusing . I’m due to take again at 3 30 as that’s usual 2 hrs I was told exercise would lower it. Not up it 6 points

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
GI (Glycaemic Index) is an index of foods which were tested on a number of people and classified as to how quickly or slowly they release their glucose from the carbs they contain. Low GI means that it took much longer for most of the people tested to digest them and release the glucose but there may have been some people who digested them quickly, but were just in the minority. I am one of those people who digests low GI foods much faster than the average and you might be too. It all comes down to the bacteria in your gut.....your gut biome.... and everybody's is different. It means that foods like porridge or lentils will spike my BG levels almost as fast as sugar or white bread or mashed potato. My greedy little gut biome has a party as soon as I eat them :rolleyes: and the glucose hits my blood stream pretty rapidly in the process.

Basically low GI doesn't work for everyone.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I guess leave it a few days but it’s so hard to pin point what actually does it. Someone says stress from the harder I try. I never knew about gut causing it too. So complex. But I am still going get some of this under my belt if it takes me until Christmas

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
GI (Glycaemic Index) is an index of foods which were tested on a number of people and classified as to how quickly or slowly they release their glucose from the carbs they contain. Low GI means that it took much longer for most of the people tested to digest them and release the glucose but there may have been some people who digested them quickly, but were just in the minority. I am one of those people who digests low GI foods much faster than the average and you might be too. It all comes down to the bacteria in your gut.....your gut biome.... and everybody's is different. It means that foods like porridge or lentils will spike my BG levels almost as fast as sugar or white bread or mashed potato. My greedy little gut biome has a party as soon as I eat them :rolleyes: and the glucose hits my blood stream pretty rapidly in the process.

Basically low GI doesn't work for everyone.
Presumably these tests were not necessarily done with people who were diabetic so I can imagine that an individual's metabolism would affect the result and definitely gut flora will make a difference.
From what I can make out the methods of determining the various nutritional values of foods is fairly empirical even now, not a very exact science.

Andy HB

I don't subscribe to that, unless at some point when my weight gain hit a point that it then went into a 'run-away' effect.

Eventually, however, my situation went into reverse when the insulin resistance was so bad I actually started to lose weight rapidly. That was the cause of my hospitalisation and diagnosis before I got better.

Losing the weight and improving diet and exercise then meant my diabetic symptoms completely reversed.

More recently, my weight hit a point again that things were getting bad again. I am now dealing with things again and funnily enough, my symptoms are improving.

Nope, for me (because I can't speak for anyone else), my weight is the trigger and not the other way around for my diabetic symptoms.