Blurry Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Dear friends,

I had HbA1c of 123 and last Thursday Dr started me on a new regimen of medicines (increased metformin, glicazide and dapagliflozin). I have noticed that since starting the medicines my eyesight has become blurry and I can't see fine print anymore. Is this an after-effect of the medicines? Thanks very much 🙂

It is likely the result of your BG levels starting to come down and most of us invested in some ready reader glasses from the pound shop to enable us to read until our eyes readjusted to the new lower sugar concentration. They eyes get used to the higher sugar levels as they gradually creep up over time, but then when we suddenly drop those levels, it takes time for the eyes to readjust.... usually 2-3 months for levels to become stable and eyes to settle down.

My eyesight was one of the biggest side effects of introducing insulin when I was diagnosed - I could see literally nothing without magnified glasses on for three weeks - but then it went as quickly as it came 🙂

Thanks very much. Reassuring to know that eyesight will be back. I have bought my £1 glasses and am very happy with them for now😎

In my experience, your eyesight will return to normal soon and you can ditch your ready readers.

However, you will read a lot about how we are all different: some found their eye sight return to normality after a week some after a month and some after a couple of months.

The other thing to remember (which you may see a few times) is that diabetes does not stop us getting other medical conditions. So, if things do not return to normal in a few months, it is recommended to get your eyes checked out. If you tell them about your recent diabetes diagnosis, any reputable optician will take that into consideration and not try to sell you unnecessary prescription glasses.

Hope your BG levels continue to improve, and that your eyesight recovers in good time @GreenS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back