blurred vision

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan74uk

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi i was diagnised last week ,the main symptom i had started 4 weeks ago and was blurred vision now i can hardly read my phone at all .is this common does it get better once the blood sugars get back to normal?

hi i was diagnised last week ,the main symptom i had started 4 weeks ago and was blurred vision now i can hardly read my phone at all .is this common does it get better once the blood sugars get back to normal?
Blurred vision is a symptom of high blood glucose particularly if your level went up suddenly but when people reduce their blood glucose by dietary changes and or medication then their eyes can change and their vision can become fussy and things are out of focus as if blood glucose is high then the environment in the eye is sugary, this will have happened slowly so the brain will have adapted but a sudden drop in blood glucose will result in the eye environment returning to more normal salty so the shape of the eye changes causing the out of focusness.
It is variable in different people how quickly it will settle down, some a few weeks to a few months. It took mine about 7 months to settle, my eyes didn't seem to work together, very annoying as it was my near vision that was affected, distance was OK.
Even if you visit the optician they shouldn't prescribe a new prescription until your eyes settle but some people have found some cheap reading glasses help until that happens.

Yes, it sorts itself out. Oddly, my vision got temporarily better....

Your vision issues are most likely linked to your higher BG.
As you bring your levels back in range things should improve.

There is plenty of help on here and do ask any questions that arise.
It may also be helpful to look at the Learning Zone. An orange tab above or in the menu on a smaller device.

My eyesight (Far vision) went blurry before I was diagnosed, but I thought it was just natural as I have poor eyesight and wear glasses. Close vision improved!

The sugar in the glucose can cause the lens to change shape when blood glucose is low or high.

My distant vision came back around 2 weeks after cutting carbs from my diet.

Going through exactly the same myself after diagnosis 4 weeks ago and medicating to get my blood sugars down (happening slowly but surely) and this forum has really put my mind at rest. wishing you well and back to normal vision soon

I went through the same thing. I was having to wear my reading glasses to watch TV. My near vision is better now than before and I don't need my reading glasses anymore.

I was diagnosed in July. only over the last few weeks has my eyesight normalised. On many occasions over the last few months I doubted the advice of my healthcare team who assured me it would. They were right thankfully!

Having had 20:20 vision I started to get symptoms of T1D in July, this included blurred far vision, after hospilisation for dka and subsequent insulin treatment early August my near Vision was horrendous and variable during the day. Could not read my phone or book at times and definitely not carb counting from food packets. For me it improved completely 5 weeks after coming out of hospital.
They say you don’t want to bring you blood glucose down to fast as that can be bad for the eyes as well.

I was diagnosed in July. only over the last few weeks has my eyesight normalised. On many occasions over the last few months I doubted the advice of my healthcare team who assured me it would. They were right thankfully!
thanks bernie good luck with it

Having had 20:20 vision I started to get symptoms of T1D in July, this included blurred far vision, after hospilisation for dka and subsequent insulin treatment early August my near Vision was horrendous and variable during the day. Could not read my phone or book at times and definitely not carb counting from food packets. For me it improved completely 5 weeks after coming out of hospital.
They say you don’t want to bring you blood glucose down to fast as that can be bad for the eyes as well.
thank you

I went through the same thing. I was having to wear my reading glasses to watch TV. My near vision is better now than before and I don't need my reading glasses anymore.
thanks amrtin great news on your sight.im currently putting my laptop thru the tv as its completley blurred on anythign smaller

Going through exactly the same myself after diagnosis 4 weeks ago and medicating to get my blood sugars down (happening slowly but surely) and this forum has really put my mind at rest. wishing you well and back to normal vision soon
thanks paul you too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back