Bluetooth during flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I use an accu check combo pump

I have recently been on both long haul flights and shorter ones. I was delighted to find that I was now able to use Bluetooth during the flights. After an easy jet flight where this was the case, I made the mistake of asking about this before I flew with Singapore Airlines which lead to ridiculous medical enquiry to check that I was fit enough to travel. They eventually agreed that I could travel with my pump and recorded that I needed assistance on each flight!! But the outcome was that I could use the Bluetooth on the pump during the flights. I still had to turn it off for take off and landing.

I now just ask once I am on a flight. So far the answer has always been yes, Bluetooth is fine for Singapore, Easyjet, Canadian, Alaskan and BA so far. A change from the earlier advice and saves the manual entries and fishing around for the pump. Is this the same for all airlines now?

No idea - we haven't flown anywhere since I had a pump (Combo, now the Insight) since we bought a motorhome in 2009 and we just go places here and abroad, in that!

I think the various flight authorities have changed guidance regarding the use of electronic devices during flight - so most likely you will find that this is the case for most airlines now.

Some airlines are now providing mobile telephone connectivity such that people can make/send calls/messages/etc whilst flying and such that they can charge you a premium for the service!

Welcome SB2015!

I do quite a bit of travelling and looked into this a little while ago after the fuss about lithium batteries on airplanes. After a rather tetchy exchange of emails with the "special services" department of a well-known airline after checking its policy for on-board electronic medical devices, I decided that I would adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" approach and act dumb if ever challenged. I have never been challenged so far after probably 30 or 40 flights.

I do, of course, bring the pump to the attention of the screening personnel when going through airport security. I'm pleased to say that I've never had any problem with them and almost invariably treated with respect and sensitivity.

It never ceases to amaze me that I rarely set off the alarm when flying, so I don't mention my pump and cgm unless asked. The Bluetooth signal doesn't reach very far.
Given the recent events in Paris I was astonished that I could walk onto a plane on Sunday with two electronic devices attached and no one noticed 😱

Just a thought - should you turn off pump etc if visiting someone in intensive care?

...Just a thought - should you turn off pump etc if visiting someone in intensive care?
To be honest, as far as I'm concerned if a bluetooth device can disturb hospital devices then what about close by radio/tv transmitters, mobile phone transmitters, wifi, etc. Ok, there is a inverse-to-distance power relationship, so even a little bluetooth device thats right next to the medical monitor will give more EM radio then the, say, BBC TV transmitter next door.

That said, if the persons wired up the an ECG machine probably best to not stand too near! All those wires make excellent aerials!

Incidentally, bluetooth uses on of the same frequencies as WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back