Blue tooth headphones

Chris Hobson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Elsewhere I have been discussing my attempts to play the piano after a very long lapse. I have my digital piano on a very quiet setting so that I can practice without creating too much of a disturbance. I tried using corded headphones but I found that there was no way to route the cable so that it wouldn't constantly tug and snag while I was trying to play. So, I finally decided to invest in a Bluetooth transmitter and a pair of Bluetooth headphones. These were easy to set up so that they would work together, yay problem solved. Unfortunately not. There is a half second delay between playing a note and hearing it on the headphones. Not a problem when listening to music on your phone but a serious problem when playing the piano. Back to the drawing board then.

Gwynn

Technology!!!

I had endless trouble trying to get my tablet to talk to my headphones via bluetooth. It worked in the end and with no delays either. Not sure whats going on with your set up.

Very frustrating though.

What I am saying is that probably there should be no delay (or imperceptible delay) using bluetooth headphones and a bluetooth transmitter. Otherwise it would be close to useless for many. But I don't know about these things.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve got wireless headphones- the base unit plugs into the telly, (or any other device with headphone sockets) and I can cook with the extractor hood switched on and hear the TV without any delay at all.

Paulbreen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Use the aux output from your keyboard with a cable, Bluetooth is always going to have a slight delay, any form of wireless signal will have a delay as the electronics processing the signals need time to work

Thebearcametoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Would extending the headphone cord so you can lay it on the floor behind you so that there’s no hanging wire works better? If all the wire is behind you hopefully it won’t get caught.

Benny G

(Snip) I tried using corded headphones but I found that there was no way to route the cable so that it wouldn't constantly tug and snag while I was trying to play. (Snip)
I use a pair of Sony bluetooth headphones and there is no noticeable lag, I also use some Creative true wireless Bluetooth plugs and there is a lag, so it might be that you can shop around for a lagless setup.
I also use wired headphones, the tugging and snagging is solved with an adequate length of audio extension cable, and several clips to secure your headphone cable to your clothing.
(I usually use two clips on the front of my shirt and a third clip on my collar.)
And finally, the small 'in ear' ear phones are better because the cable is lighter and thinner and can be plugged and unplugged from your extension cable without having to unclip anything else.

Last edited:

Chris Hobson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Lots of helpful advice here, thanks everyone. I think that I might go back to the corded phones and see if I can work out a way to route the cable.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As I said before, if you have a headphone socket you can use wireless headphones which have no delay. Mine are Sennheiser with full over ear. Great full sound, and as loud as you like - nobody else will hear it, unlike in-ear phones. And no cables to throttle you or trip over. Corded headphones are so last century.

Gwynn

My new tablet has no headphone socket, so I was forced to use my bowers and wilkins headphones in bluetooth paired mode. The headphones work great now but the trouble I had to get the things recognised by the tablet!!! It actually turned out that I was twiddling the wrong button on the headphones. After I had gone on line and found a useful link or two, bingo, worked it out and the headphones behave really well with the tablet now. I think they have made friends.

No delays at all and no wires to get in the way (except when charging the things)