Bloods still high

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your bloods went from 11.5 before bed to 22 this morning with no food? Can you tell us a bit about your diagnosis? Apologies for asking but are you overweight? Do you have a history of Type 2 in your family? Did you lose any unexpected weight before you were diagnosed?

I have had brown toast stuck to low carbs I was diagnosed 4 years ago gradually crept up, my 3 mth test was 10 so put me on clydrozides on weds but was told it will take a few weeks to work, I have lost weight lately so weigh bout 13 stone

Yes a hr after

Right, well that’s slightly different then and less need to panic (although still not ideal). Don’t test until 2hrs after breakfast, eg start breakfast 8am, test at 10am.

What was your blood sugar before breakfast - ie just before you started to eat it?

I would have thought you would be better not to have toast as that is high carb and people are often more sensitive to carbs in the morning. Having something like full fat Greek yoghurt and berries or eggs would be a lower carb breakfast but even having protein and healthy fats with a slice of toast would be better.

Ok will do that tested after two hrs it’s still 22 going out for lunch so panicking a bit

I would have thought you would be better not to have toast as that is high carb and people are often more sensitive to carbs in the morning. Having something like full fat Greek yoghurt and berries or eggs would be a lower carb breakfast but even having protein and healthy fats with a slice of toast would be better.

But with Gliclazide it’s best to be cautious to start with and have some carbs.

Ok will do that tested after two hrs it’s still 22 going out for lunch so panicking a bit

You don’t take Gliclazide at lunch, right? So choose something very low carb.

How many slices of toast did you have? You could reduce the amount of toast and see what works for your blood sugar. If you had two slices, have one and see the effect on your blood sugar. If one slice is still giving you high sugars then try half a slice and bulk that out with some protein and veg eg eggs and tomatoes.You’re only on a small dose of Gliclazide so if your high sugars persist, you should speak to your nurse to see if it needs increasing.

You don’t take Gliclazide at lunch, right? So choose something very low carb.

How many slices of toast did you have? You could reduce the amount of toast and see what works for your blood sugar. You’re only on a small dose of Gliclazide so if your high sugars persist, you should speak to your nurse to see if it needs increasing.
No I don’t one piece I don’t usually eat breakfast so making myself eat it I spoke to my nurse and she did say it could take a few weeks to see a differenc: it’s just seems higher than it was before.

Maybe that’s because things were deteriorating before you started the Gliclazide. You could try half a slice or look for a lower carb bread. They can vary a lot in carb amounts. Check the carbs per slice on the packet. Once you find what works, if you stick to the same amount of carbs that will help.

Maybe that’s because things were deteriorating before you started the Gliclazide. You could try half a slice or look for a lower carb bread. They can vary a lot in carb amounts. Check the carbs per slice on the packet. Once you find what works, if you stick to the same amount of carbs that will help.
Checked the bread hovis tasty says its a good one

How often should I be testing I am getting a bit ocd with it as I am anxious all the time?
You will probably be doing quite a lot of testing initially as you will be finding what foods you can tolerate well and just to make sure you are not in hypo territory which sounds unlikely if you are still getting readings in the teens but wise to keeep checking as the medication might kick in quite quickly but if you keep a record of your readings alongside a food diary that will give information for your nurse to advise any change in medication.
A good testing regime is fasting (first thing in bed), before and 2 hours after each meal.

But with Gliclazide it’s best to be cautious to start with and have some carbs.
I recall a suggestion that the OP took the gliclazide with lunch and dinner so they did not need to eat breakfast as it was not something they normally did.
I'm sure it has been mentioned about being cautious about reducing carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back