Blood thinners

Status
Not open for further replies.

spell

On blood thinners so end up bleeding a lot changing libre and omnipod, even finger pricks bleed loads.
Bleed underneath omnipod where it is attached, adhesive turns red and end up with bruises all over the place.getting really fed up with it.doctors aren't interested and just say not interested
It just reminds me of how much of a bad diabetic I am

Could your dose need reviewing @spell ? I don’t know much about blood thinners at all, but I remember a grandparent having their dose tweaked a few times.

Is it steroids you are taking @spell ?

They have a reputation for raising BG levels, as you’ve probably been told in the past.

It can be tricky when meds you need for one thing have a negative effect on another.

I think some forum members need to take steroids for various things.

Try not to think of yourself as a ‘bad diabetic’. Some just have a more difficult time than others.

Is it steroids you are taking @spell ?

They have a reputation for raising BG levels, as you’ve probably been told in the past.

It can be tricky when meds you need for one thing have a negative effect on another.

I think some forum members need to take steroids for various things.

Try not to think of yourself as a ‘bad diabetic’. Some just have a more difficult time than others.
They are not steroids

I am on blood thinners which were increased post op after bypass and two years alter amputation. Each time they have been reduced after review. At one stage I was on mini aspirin, clodprigel and heparin injections. The heparin was stopped after the consultant came round and I showed him my "bloody" pyjamas as on a couple of occasions it didn't stop seeping at the injection site for over two hours. My stomach was also covered in bruises from the injections! Press for a review! No idea how steroids crept in the thread!

I am on blood thinners which were increased post op after bypass and two years alter amputation. Each time they have been reduced after review. At one stage I was on mini aspirin, clodprigel and heparin injections. The heparin was stopped after the consultant came round and I showed him my "bloody" pyjamas as on a couple of occasions it didn't stop seeping at the injection site for over two hours. My stomach was also covered in bruises from the injections! Press for a review! No idea how steroids crept in the thread!
After two hours ,I'm defo not taking any more now

Best not to stop a medication you’ve been given without discussing your worries and concerns with a Dr.

Can you send an e-consult request to your surgery? That can be easier than having to fight your way through the phone system trying to get hold of someone?

Best not to stop a medication you’ve been given without discussing your worries and concerns with a Dr.

Can you send an e-consult request to your surgery? That can be easier than having to fight your way through the phone system trying to get hold of someone?
I seen my GP, no help,no advice or anything.useless!
They don't care so I won't, I'll make my own decision

Sorry you aren’t getting the support you need. Do you know what they were prescribed to help with?

It is best not to stop medication as it may cause a serious problem down the line. Typical half-lives will protect you for a day or two but then you are on your own. Which blood thinners are you on? A blood clot could cause a heart attack, pulmonary embolism, stroke or leg attack. Keep taking them and if there are issues with your GP try 111 this evening or your cardiology team this afternoon or Monday.

Heart attack because of diabetes
Ah that's rough :(

Maybe there’s an alternative you can try rather than just dropping the medication?

Would be a shame to lose the protection for future trouble.

You could try a nurse practitioner? I saw one recently and found them great - more time to deal with me, and very thorough.

You could try ringing the British Heart Foundation Heart Help Line. It is staffed by very knowledgeable cardiac nurses (I have rung them myself). I will look up the number on my phone now!

It's 0300 330 3311 and is open weekdays 9:00 to 5:00.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back