blood tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggie53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi don't come on very often,so not sure if I'm in the right place,was diagnosed in January, I follow weight watchers and excise, at the moment I'm 6 lbs under goal weight, my first blood test result was 52, I take metformin, last blood test was 47, not had a blood test for a few months not sure how often you get them, also what is a good number to have which is ok thank you.

HI @Maggie53 and well done for reducing your hba1c to 47. You are now in the "pre-diabetic" range which is from 42 - 48 if I remember correctly. Anything under 42 is below the diabetic range, although you will still be classed as diabetic. I think you need to be on no medication and have 2 tests below 42 to count as "in remission".

I've just tried to book another hba1c test as it's over 6 months since I last had one, but there is a shortage of blood vials nationally (due to Brexit I think) so my surgery are only doing urgent blood tests, not routine.

Hi @Maggie53 congratulations on your HbA1c reduction and other results.

HbA1c are usually done approx every 6/12 months for routine diabetes check unless they’re needed for additional medicine or diet changes/progress checks/ surgery/illness etc. They are usually a minimum of 3 months apart to fully reflect the turnover of red blood cells which is approx 120 days and show the effects of medicine/diet changes.

I rang to arrange an HbA1c for a clinic next week and was told they’re not being done at present due to a blood test vial shortage. Your area may be different so worth asking if/when you can have one.

This is about HbA1c from Diabetes UK

HI @Maggie53 and well done for reducing your hba1c to 47. You are now in the "pre-diabetic" range which is from 42 - 48 if I remember correctly. Anything under 42 is below the diabetic range, although you will still be classed as diabetic. I think you need to be on no medication and have 2 tests below 42 to count as "in remission".

I've just tried to book another hba1c test as it's over 6 months since I last had one, but there is a shortage of blood vials nationally (due to Brexit I think) so my surgery are only doing urgent blood tests, not routine.
thank you so much for your help,pleased to know I'm going in the right direction will just keep doing what I'm doing thanks again.

Well done on the excellent improvement in your HbA1c @Maggie53

Sounds like you’ve found an approach that works really well for you 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back