Blood test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan221

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well it's finally come around, I can avoid it no longer. I'm going for my Hba1c this morning. I have my arm smothered in Emla cream, but still the frightened little boy in me is there. I really want to 'run away' by making some excuse as to why I can't have it. I know I need it, but my fear of needles is so strong. I'll live, I know - but I'm really dreading it.

Let the person taking the blood know how nervous you are and any other information, such as which arm is better worse, even which vein, if you know. I'm not scared of needles, but seems sensible to let the blood taker know what previous blood takers have told me about my veins, resulting in the fewest problems. One other tip, to minimise chance of bruises - don't bend you elbow immediately after, just hold cotton wool ball on the puncture for a couple of minutes, before it is swapped for a sticky covering.

Agree with previous advice. There are many people who fear needles.

On the positive side, you know these tests are to help keep you healthy, and reduce the need for further unnecessary needles.

I'm back and not surprisingly I'm still alive. I had the usual traumatic time but the nurses are understanding, kind and patient. I'll be off to see the consultant next Tuesday to get the results - 2 years to the day since my DKA & diagnosis. Thanks for your support 🙂

Well done!

Glad you survived Alan - knew you would! And hey! it's a while to the next one! Did you think of nice things like a beach....!!!😉

I'm back and not surprisingly I'm still alive. I had the usual traumatic time but the nurses are understanding, kind and patient. I'll be off to see the consultant next Tuesday to get the results - 2 years to the day since my DKA & diagnosis. Thanks for your support 🙂

Glad to hear things went OK Alan. How's this for a co-incidence - I've just been for my test, have an appointment next Tuesday, and my name is Alan too! You're not me are you? 🙂

Glad you survived Alan. Hope results are OK.

I do so wish these bloodremovers would stop using the term "just a little scratch". The old term they used was realistic and only the warped members of the male gender would take offence.

INR test tomorrow and the HbA1c in three weeks.

Well it's finally come around, I can avoid it no longer. I'm going for my Hba1c this morning. I have my arm smothered in Emla cream, but still the frightened little boy in me is there. I really want to 'run away' by making some excuse as to why I can't have it. I know I need it, but my fear of needles is so strong. I'll live, I know - but I'm really dreading it.

Just a dumb arse question i know as i'm a bit blonde at the best of times but if your so terrified of needles (no offence) how on earth do you get your insulin?

Angel30eyes - I inject. I don't have a problem with injecting into flesh, it's the vein thing that I really don't like.

I haven't actually done this, but as a contented insulin pen user, I have wondered about gaining a bit of excess sympathy from people close to me when they have just had blood taken or intramuscular injections eg immunisations - but never really needed any extra sympathy, so haven't bothered!

Made me LOL Kojack!!

Glad you survived Alan. Hope results are OK.

I do so wish these bloodremovers would stop using the term "just a little scratch". The old term they used was realistic and only the warped members of the male gender would take offence.

INR test tomorrow and the HbA1c in three weeks.

That really made me laugh - I HATE it when they do that - it has never been a scratch! Made me think what the old expression was - and then I got it - LOL !! Gosh - were you chaps really offended by that?!

"A little scratch" may be inaccurate, but better than "just a little prick", which was particularly offputting to male adults before an injection into the buttocks (eg tetanus immunisation)! I was warned against the phrase by staff nurses when I was a student, as men tended to think it referred to something other than the needle! I can't really see why there's a problem with the phrase when sticking a needle into an elbow or any part of the arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back