Blood test

Busdriver60

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Good afternoon all,

I attended my haemoglobin A1c blood test appointment earlier this morning, at my local hospital and recently received my blood test results - 69mmol. This is a big improvement from a high level of 123mmol. I am ignorant but I don't know what this means. What does an A1c blood test signify? Can someone please elaborate on this to me? I have also just spoken to my care nurse, who is still very pleased with my progress. She has advised me to reduce my insulin from 10 to 9 on very hot days, to stop the hypos. What are your thoughts please.

I would be grateful for your time.

HbA1c is a measure of long term blood glucose control, sometimes it's referred to as an "average" of the last 3-4 months but it's not exactly that.

HbA1c above 48 is classed as diabetes, but it's rare for those with type 1 or type 3c to get it down that far. You've done really well with your insulin management to get it down from 123 to 69, well done!

I wouldn't want to comment specifically on the insulin doses as I don't take insulin, but it might make it easier for those who do to comment if you remind us what insulin(s) you are prescribed, and whether it is "set" doses with recommended carbohydrates per meal, or whether they have started to teach you to adjust your insulin to what you are choosing to eat

HbA1c is a measure of long term blood glucose control, sometimes it's referred to as an "average" of the last 3-4 months but it's not exactly that.

HbA1c above 48 is classed as diabetes, but it's rare for those with type 1 or type 3c to get it down that far. You've done really well with your insulin management to get it down from 123 to 69, well done!

I wouldn't want to comment specifically on the insulin doses as I don't take insulin, but it might make it easier for those who do to comment if you remind us what insulin(s) you are prescribed, and whether it is "set" doses with recommended carbohydrates! I never that was possible per meal, or whether they have started to teach you to adjust your insulin to what you are choosing to eat
Wow! I never thought that was possible especially as it was very hard to control at first. I have also been advised to slightly increase my carb intake, eg bread, pasta, rice and potatoes etc... I'm still tempted by fruit, like grapes and bananas. It's still hard to resist. But I'm sure other fellow sufferers too.

Sounds like you could find it worthwhile to read around the Diabetes UK site and learning zone

Back