blood test

Status
Not open for further replies.

leggoless

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
i prick my finger twice a day morning/night. is it important to do this a the same time (if possible) each day.
or dose it not matter.my morning readings are quite high. between 8-9. i take them before food as i am up early about 6.oo am.
i take them before this. would this make the readings higher.

thank you

F Taylor.

I don't think it's possible or practical (or necessary) to test at the same times each day. I always test on waking, generally within 5 minutes of getting up, and I'm usually up at 7am during the week, a little later at weekends. I haven't, as yet, tested while still in bed though some do suggest this might give a slightly lower reading.

I also test 2 hours after sitting down to our evening meal, but there's no set time for when we eat this.

I think you need a clear reason for why you are testing and test at times which full fills that criteria. When you test when you are what action are you taking if it is not as you would want?
If you are comparing day to day then scientifically testing at the same time makes more sense as many things like how long after you wake up, if you have done any activity, even had a drink of water before you test could influence the result so harder to pick up genuine differences.
Similarly your night time reading is going to be most influences by what you ate for your evening meal and if you did any exercise so it would be more logical to test at a set time after eating. If you want to see the effect of that meal then test before as well as 2 hours after and that allows you to modify what you eat if you have an increase of more than 2-3 mmol/l.

If you have not already, take advantage of the Libre free trial from abbot. These two weeks wearing a continuous glucose monitor will be the most enlightening of your diabetes journey. If only the NHS agreed and then perhaps they could save a fortune shutting the gate after the horse…..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back