Blood test to help smokers 'find best way to quit'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A blood test could help people choose a stop-smoking strategy that would give them the best chance of quitting, research in a Lancet journal suggests.

Studies show as many as 60% of people who try to give up start smoking again in the first week.

But researchers argue measuring how quickly a person breaks down nicotine could boost the chances of success.

Other experts say the cost-effectiveness of these extra tests would need to be assessed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30744250

Nicotine addiction is no the only reason people smoke. For some it is also a habit and habits do not show up in blood tests and habits are very hard to break, which is why will power is the required to give up. I had to stop using the patches, gum etc as it didn't reduce my smoking but increased my nicotine intake.

Nicotine addiction is no the only reason people smoke. For some it is also a habit and habits do not show up in blood tests and habits are very hard to break, which is why will power is the required to give up. I had to stop using the patches, gum etc as it didn't reduce my smoking but increased my nicotine intake.

I was the same Vic. Tried the patches and as soon as I moved onto the lower-strength patches I started smoking again to supplement them! Chewing gum made me feel sick. I stopped almost 20 years ago to the day after reading Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I actually enjoyed the nicotine withdrawal - bring it on! - but the habit took about two years to break, so many occasions when I would normally have a cigarette (and much more opportunity in those days).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back