Blood Test results - critical margins

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndBreathe

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm sure I have asked this before, but if I did, I didn't bookmark the response.

I feel certain it was here someone posted a link to a site where the various blood tests were explained, along with the critical margings to aid interpretation. In other words, whether a result of 1 or 2 under/over the reference range is any cause for concern. The variation in those critical margins was quite significant.

The reason I ask now is I've had some wonky bloods (repeated and repeated again) and I need to prepare for a discussion with my GP, because right now, I don't quite understand his rationale.

Thanks in anticipation.

AB

It may not be an exact match for what you are seeking, but I found this site useful labtestsonline
this one had info on results too geekymedics

It may not be an exact match for what you are seeking, but I found this site useful labtestsonline
this one had info on results too geekymedics
Hello @And breathe. Does this link help you at all? From the newbies partbof the forum, pinned to the top:
Thanks both. Neither of those are what I'm looking for.

The site I am referring to (why, oh WHY did I not bookmark it) explains the test, but then explains where the critical points are on the testing scale. For example, if a hypothetical test "normal" reference range is 20-50, is a score of 18 materially important, or "just a bit lower than expected, but only a tiny bit.

Some tests have much larger margins than others, but particularly, from memory, the electrolytes can have quite narrow acceptable bands.

It's not helping that my description is appalling.

For example, if a hypothetical test "normal" reference range is 20-50, is a score of 18 materially important, or "just a bit lower than expected, but only a tiny bit.

Some tests have much larger margins than others, but particularly, from memory, the electrolytes can have quite narrow acceptable bands.
You probably thought of this already, but while the answer may not actually be logical ...
Logic would suggest that if a reference range is wider, that 1 or 2 points over or under are not critical, but if a reference range is very small, then 1 or 2 points either side may well be significant.

You probably thought of this already, but while the answer may not actually be logical ...
Logic would suggest that if a reference range is wider, that 1 or 2 points over or under are not critical, but if a reference range is very small, then 1 or 2 points either side may well be significant.
I like your logic, but from memory, it wasn't that simple by quite a margin, for some (absolutely not all) tests.

Googling "critical lab test values" gives me relevant-looking hits.

Hope you are able to find what you are looking for @AndBreathe , and that the discussions with your Dr are fruitful.

I like your logic, but from memory, it wasn't that simple by quite a margin, for some (absolutely not all) tests.
This is why I included to get out clause 'while the answer may not actually be logical' 😎

Hello, I now get all my blood/urine test results sent to me by the NHS on the "patientsknowbest.com" website. It shows the recent result and can show older results for past months/years so that you can see trends. For each test it usually shows high and low expected results, marking 'out of range' in red. There is a link to labtestsonline for help and further explanations

Hello, I now get all my blood/urine test results sent to me by the NHS on the "patientsknowbest.com" website. It shows the recent result and can show older results for past months/years so that you can see trends. For each test it usually shows high and low expected results, marking 'out of range' in red. There is a link to labtestsonline for help and further explanations
Thanks Robert. I understand each test and the ranges. I'm looking for something specific, but if I can't find it before my call, I'll manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back