Blood sugars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzz

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
My blood sugars are really fluctuating im at a loss also I’ve ordered a smart watch from
Amazon that does your gloucose blood sugar readings are they any good as my poor fingers are hurting

My blood sugars are really fluctuating im at a loss also I’ve ordered a smart watch from
Amazon that does your gloucose blood sugar readings are they any good as my poor fingers are hurting
No they don’t work at all. I’d advise returning it unused for a refund.

If your fingers are hurting you’re probably fingerpricking wrong. Are you using the sides of your fingers and a comfortable lancer, and have the depth turned down to the lowest you need? How many lancing devices have you tried?

Absolutely agree with @Lucyr -the watches that claim to measure blood glucose do not work and if the only reason you bought it is for blood glucose "measurements" , then I also suggest you send it back.

You say your blood glucose readings are fluctuating. What sort of readings are you getting and do you know what your last HbA1c was?

Are you random testing or are you sticking to a regime, eg on waking, before meals and 2 hours after meals?

No they don’t work at all. I’d advise returning it unused for a refund.

If your fingers are hurting you’re probably fingerpricking wrong. Are you using the sides of your fingers and a comfortable lancer, and have the depth turned down to the lowest you need? How many lancing devices have you tried?
I got device lancets on prescription from diabetic nurse she gave me device for free and thanks for heads up about watch I’ve an Apple Watch quite an old model that doesn’t do your blood sugars and yes at side of finger usually so is number 1 better ?

I got device lancets on prescription from diabetic nurse she gave me device for free and thanks for heads up about watch I’ve an Apple Watch quite an old model that doesn’t do your blood sugars and yes at side of finger usually so is number 1 better ?
There are lots of different devices. Which device and setting is best is individual. I use an accu check lancer set to 0.5

Having warm hands is also important for finger pricking. Hugging a mug or soaking in warm water for a couple of minutes will help bring the blood to the surface and mean you need less depth and don't need to squeeze to get a drop of blood. There were times when I was testing 16 plus times a day, every day for a couple of months and didn't have sore fingers, so my guess is that you need to look at your technique.

It is also important to have a realistic expectation that BG levels go up and down throughout the day and night in response to lots of different factors, food exercise and medication being the main 3, but illness and stress and lack of sleep and ambient temperature and hormones all have an impact plus many more. What you are seeing may be normal or may be telling you that you are eating too many carbs if levels are increasing by more than 3mmols 2 hours after a meal. Taking a premeal reading is important in the early days to get a baseline level to know how much the meal raised your BG after 2 hours. Once you get a BG friendly menu worked out from those before and after readings, then you only need to test new foods or occasionally to ensure that things are not deteriorating.... or carb creep has snuck into your menu, which it can over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back