Blood sugar's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2410

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Newbie here, sadly diagnosed with cancer, go to have PET scan and need to get my blood sugar's under 8. I'm a night working, any recipe ideas?

Newbie here, sadly diagnosed with cancer, go to have PET scan and need to get my blood sugar's under 8. I'm a night working, any recipe ideas?
Hello @Tony2410,

Sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis. It would help a bit to know how long you've been managing your T2, to understand what sort of food guidance you might need? Also where your cancer is and what your cancer treatment might be - once your BG is more routinely under 8? There can be quite different treatments which can, for example include steroids for a few days at a time and steroids are frequent causes of raised BGs.

Meanwhile I can understand the need to get yourself into very stable and suitably lower BGs, since that helps provide an optimum environment for most medical treatments, including most cancer treatments. I've had Pancreatic Cancer and surrendered my pancreas to that + some chemo; my brother had cancer of the oesophagus treated by radiology; and my sister spent well over 4 years in almost constant chemotherapy (quite different to mine)(now in remission) from bowel cancer diagnosed far too late. So I know a tiny bit about those 3 cancers!

I should read carefully the instructions for preparation of your scan as not only should your blood glucose be low enough there will be other things about not eating and drinking or exercising before hand or taking particular medication.
You could do a practice run to see what might be necessary in order to achieve the required level.

What are your blood glucose levels like at the moment as that will help you see what dietary changes you will need, the sooner you do that the better depending on what they are.
I assume you have a blood glucose monitor so you can check, if not then ask your GP for one.

Hello @Tony2410,

Sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis. It would help a bit to know how long you've been managing your T2, to understand what sort of food guidance you might need? Also where your cancer is and what your cancer treatment might be - once your BG is more routinely under 8? There can be quite different treatments which can, for example include steroids for a few days at a time and steroids are frequent causes of raised BGs.

Meanwhile I can understand the need to get yourself into very stable and suitably lower BGs, since that helps provide an optimum environment for most medical treatments, including most cancer treatments. I've had Pancreatic Cancer and surrendered my pancreas to that + some chemo; my brother had cancer of the oesophagus treated by radiology; and my sister spent well over 4 years in almost constant chemotherapy (quite different to mine)(now in remission) from bowel cancer diagnosed far too late. So I know a tiny bit about those 3 cancers!

Hello @Tony2410,

Had bowel cancer this time last week, surgery and chemo and was in remission, latest bloodtests and CT scan shows cancer in segment 7 of my liver ☹️.

Hi and welcome from me too.
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis and the diabetes causing problems with the scan. It will be important to manage your BG levels well to fight the cancer as well as to have any relevant scans and/or surgeries.

I've taken two readings today 12.5 and 9.8 is the latest one.
When did you take those two readings in relation to food. It is advised to test just before eating and the 2 hours after that meal. That will tell you how your body responded to the food you ate and from that you can start to modify your diet to reduce your BG levels. It is a bit of a faff until you get into the swing of it but you are looking for a rise of no more than 2-3mmols between the pre and 2hours post meal reading. If you can consistently keep your meal rises below that, then your baseline levels should come down, so your premeal levels will start to drop and therefore so will your post meal readings. It takes time but if you work hard at it you can usually see better results in a couple of weeks.

Keep the Carbs down if you need to reduce your blood sugar

Hi and welcome from me too.
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis and the diabetes causing problems with the scan. It will be important to manage your BG levels well to fight the cancer as well as to have any relevant scans and/or surgeries.

When did you take those two readings in relation to food. It is advised to test just before eating and the 2 hours after that meal. That will tell you how your body responded to the food you ate and from that you can start to modify your diet to reduce your BG levels. It is a bit of a faff until you get into the swing of it but you are looking for a rise of no more than 2-3mmols between the pre and 2hours post meal reading. If you can consistently keep your meal rises below that, then your baseline levels should come down, so your premeal levels will start to drop and therefore so will your post meal readings. It takes time but if you work hard at it you can usually see better results in a couple of weeks.

Just taken BG level just before dinner and it was 8, the other two readings were two hours a part.

Hi Tony. What does under 8 mean ? Average bg readings or the HbA1c.

Rather than looking for individual recipes the better idea is to adopt an overall dietary plan. Moderating carbohydrates is the first step to good control /management.

The traditional dietary recommendations for Type 2 Diabetes has been ....

45 - 60% of calories from carbs depending on work done and level of physical activity.
10 -20 % of calories from protein.
20-35% of calories from fats including at least 25% from 'good fats'.

If using that diet didn't bring good control then the Patient was supposed to walk up through the quantity and quality of medication available until control was achieved.

What work do you ? If its heavy manual work you might need more carbs than rest of us.

Just taken BG level just before dinner and it was 8, the other two readings were two hours a part.
You need to be trying to get your premeal readings to below 7 ideally nearer to 5 or 6.
It looks as if you will have to be reducing your carbs to achieve that.
If you have to prepare for your scan by fasting then testing so you can see what a fasting reading would be, if it is above 8 you have a bit of work to do to make sure that on the day it is OK.

I changed my bread to Granary and my cereals to surreal, ( no sugar and 10% carbs ) sugar coming down to single figures,

Hi Tony. What does under 8 mean ? Average bg readings or the HbA1c.

Rather than looking for individual recipes the better idea is to adopt an overall dietary plan. Moderating carbohydrates is the first step to good control /management.

The traditional dietary recommendations for Type 2 Diabetes has been ....

45 - 60% of calories from carbs depending on work done and level of physical activity.
10 -20 % of calories from protein.
20-35% of calories from fats including at least 25% from 'good fats'.

If using that diet didn't bring good control then the Patient was supposed to walk up through the quantity and quality of medication available until control was achieved.

What work do you ? If its heavy manual work you might need more carbs than rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back