Blood sugars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cait

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi does anyone know why when I eat my sugars shoot up and then drop down quickly lower than they was before I ate and give me fake hypos ? I’ve stopped taking metformin as I’m scared how low my sugars are going. Eg eat sometimes go from 4.5/5 to between 8-11 then will drop maybe in a hour if that? I’m literally eating what I want might I add not even diet food

Hi does anyone know why when I eat my sugars shoot up and then drop down quickly lower than they was before I ate and give me fake hypos ? I’ve stopped taking metformin as I’m scared how low my sugars are going. Eg eat sometimes go from 4.5/5 to between 8-11 then will drop maybe in a hour if that? I’m literally eating what I want might I add not even diet food
Could be Reactive Hypoglycemia.

Sometimes your insulin response is impaired and kicks in late (hence the spike) and overcompensates by releasing too much insulin (hence the drop) @Cait

would that mean I wouldn’t have diabetes?

People with diabetes/pre-diabetes can get RH.

The problem is the first phase of insulin is diminished in T2s so blood sugar rises to high levels after eating a lot of carbs.

After 2 hours or so, the second phase is released and this can bring it down quickly if too much insulin is released.

After an hour suggests a normal response, though, as I believe RH is a delayed response and you said it's happening after an hour?

What foods are you eating when that happens. The guidance is 4-7 before meals and no more than 8-8.5 mmol/l 2 hours post meal and by implication back to the 4-7 before your next meal.
How does what you are getting fit with that.

I also wondered if your body was reacting a bit late to your meal, then slightly overdoing the insulin production when it kicked in?

It would be interesting to see what happened after a lower carbohydrate meal. Perhaps one with only 20g or so of total carbohydrate in it (not just ‘sugars’). A salad and omelette perhaps, with no bread?

I also wondered if your body was reacting a bit late to your meal, then slightly overdoing the insulin production when it kicked in?

It would be interesting to see what happened after a lower carbohydrate meal. Perhaps one with only 20g or so of total carbohydrate in it (not just ‘sugars’). A salad and omelette perhaps, with no bread?

The OP says it's happening within an hour, which suggests it's not a delayed reaction.

The OP says it's happening within an hour, which suggests it's not a delayed reaction.

I understood that to be an hour after the post-meal high glucose, rather than an hour after eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back