blood sugars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cait

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hello all first time posting. I’m type 2 on slow release metformin. After eating my sugars obviously go high. But for the past 3 days they’re just suddenly dropping so so fast from like 12-5 in 30 minutes maybe. This has never happened before does anyone know what may be the cause? I’ve tried not taking metformin to see if that was the issue. Last hbac1 was 47 down from 102.

Attachments

• D70F251E-151D-4726-858E-21CEC98E963B.png
    D70F251E-151D-4726-858E-21CEC98E963B.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 81004EB8-6CBA-4955-BE28-4A5656943BE0.png
    81004EB8-6CBA-4955-BE28-4A5656943BE0.png
    29 KB · Views: 29
Welcome @Cait 🙂 Are you checking your results with a fingerprick? Can you tell us a little about your diagnosis?

Those graphs show it taking over an hour to drop… first one is over two hours from around 11 before 6am to 8am, second one is an hour, plus it stays around 12 for over an hour? Unless in am reading the scale wrong.

When/what did you eat? The first graph shows it rising for 6 hours before peaking and then falling.

Welcome @Cait 🙂 Are you checking your results with a fingerprick? Can you tell us a little about your diagnosis?
Yeah same with finger pricks. I was diagnosed July 2023 started two weeks before with increased thirst and urinating a lot. Then had antibodies test as symptoms came on so quick they thought I had either MODY or type 1 but came back negative and said I’m definitely type two.

Those graphs show it taking over an hour to drop… first one is over two hours from around 11 before 6am to 8am, second one is an hour, plus it stays around 12 for over an hour? Unless in am reading the scale wrong.

When/what did you eat? The first graph shows it rising for 6 hours before peaking and then falling.
But I haven’t even taken meds for it to come down. And when it does come down its literally so fast if you get me? I have a panic disorder and I’m panicking what the could mean.

But I haven’t even taken meds for it to come down. And when it does come down its literally so fast if you get me? I have a panic disorder and I’m panicking what the could mean.
Sorry should of wondered my post better haha. I meant when it starts to drop it drops rapidly so in like half a hour it can go from being high straight down and you see in the lines it’s a straight down line on the second one.

Sorry should of wondered my post better haha. I meant when it starts to drop it drops rapidly so in like half a hour it can go from being high straight down and you see in the lines it’s a straight down line on the second one.
Some idea of what and when you are eating might help people see what might be going on.

It's fine, it'll come down naturally, as people with T2 are still producing some insulin naturally.

Some idea of what and when you are eating might help people see what might be going on.
So I had chicken and rice. With veg. That’s it for dinner. Lunch I had chicken wrap with carrot sticks no breakfast. sometimes have shreddies when I’m hungry(naughty I know)

So fairly high carb foods - rice and wraps, which is why it's rising to such high levels in the first place.

So fairly high carb foods - rice and wraps, which is why it's rising to such high levels in the first place.
Yeah but as I’m saying my levels don’t normally drop that fast. Also was low carb

I'm still not sure why you are worried about the fall, which is good. I'd take it as a win.

I'd be more concerned by the second graph showing levels staying high for a long period of time, which isn't good.

Rice is very high carb. Not an ideal food for people with T2 diabetes.

Because once I get to 5ish I start to get all the hypo symptoms

Because once I get to 5ish I start to get all the hypo symptoms
That is likely because you have been having high blood glucose for a while so you body need to adjust to now getting lower levels, it is referred to as a false hypo as below 4 would only be hypo territory.
In some people eating high carb foods can cause the pancreas to over produce insulin which drops blood glucose quickly ans that can give you 'hypo' like symptoms.

It's a 'false hypo' where the body just thinks it's low, but it isn't and it isn't dangerous.

Being up in double figures is not good and the false hypo may be because you are dropping from a high level to a normal range or are starting to get it lower overall.

I'd concentrate on getting the highs down and then 'false' hypos will go away when you are in normal range most of the time. Worrying about it going low is strange, as this is a good thing. And yes, I got them when I was first diagnosed and working on getting my blood sugar down, but it went away after a few weeks when levels got back to the normal range.

In some people eating high carb foods can cause the pancreas to over produce insulin which drops blood glucose quickly ans that can give you 'hypo' like symptoms.

That's clearly not happening here, as the levels stay up in the 12s for hours and the fall from 12 to 7 is not particularly quick.

My concern would be why it's going up and staying there rather than going up and coming more or less straight back down which is what they should be doing.

Just to reassure you, Metformin will not cause your levels to drop like that, it is your own insulin production doing that which is what it is supposed to do but if it kicked in earlier then your levels wouldn't get so high to start with. As others have said, they key is not eating things which will push it up that high in the first place. Bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, breakfast cereal as well as the obvious cakes and biscuits and sweets etc are all high carb and will push your levels up this high. If you can keep those levels from going so high, it won't feel so bad when they come down. For the first few months on injecting insulin, my levels would shoot up to 15 nearly every morning and then come hurtling back down to about 5 if I was lucky and had calculated right and that was with a low carb breakfast of yoghurt and berries. I learned that I needed to inject my insulin much earlier before I ate to prevent the spike and then drop. Obviously, you can't control when your body releases the insulin, so eating foods which don't send it so high is the best that you can do.

Do you have much/any weight to lose and if so, it it mostly around your middle? It could be that your insulin response is delayed due to visceral fat in your liver and pancreas, causing the messaging between the two organs which balance your BG levels, not working correctly. Clearly you are producing insulin to drop your levels like that but it is a bit slow to be released.
If you have weight to lose, perhaps do the Newcastle/Fast 800 diet which is a meal replacement shakes based diet (sometimes available through the NHS) to lose the weight fast and burn off that visceral fat and return normal function to your pancreas and liver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back