Blood sugars havent come down since 24hr virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennywren

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Blood sugars havent come down since 24hr virus and have done all what recommended ! Any ideas ? my blood sugars were perfect but then got 24 hr virus on boxing day and bs have remained high , do you think its just coincidence or do you think maybe basal rates just need putting up ? Not down to over indulgence or richness of foods etc as have hardly eaten anything .

I think that, whilst you may no longer be feeling any symptoms, you may still be fighting off the effects of the illness, so I'd give it another couple of days if it was me. Depending on what the numbers are like, I'd probably continue to adjust insulin, but be careful not to overcompensate and risk hypos. Hope you are back to normal soon! 🙂

What Alan said. 24 hrs my foot LOL You might only suffer the SYMPTOMS for 24 hrs but the virus itself will hang around.

PITA Jenny.

It certainly is a PITA lol ( i have to confess i had to look up what that meant )

In the last 5 hrs i have had blood sugars of 19.6 ,19.6,28.5 and 22.4 and have taken 33 u of humalog !!!! my bloods at this sort of time are between 3-6 just on the basal rate without extra units of insulin feeling quite rough :( all i have had is some soup ! been like this since boxing day.

Might it be a problem with your pump or insulin Jenny? Is it definitely delivering the insulin? Have you tried injecting some instead?

I was gonna say, try injecting insulin out of a new vial, or new cartridge if you have any pen cartridges.

Hi , i dont very often post on here now , but thought i would step in and help in regards to your virus and pumping. i have been pumping with an accu check combi for 1 1/2 years now. Have you set a temp basal rate ? i would definatley try that to help reduce your blood sugars, increase to 120- 150% for between 4-8 hours as your numbers seem quite high (depending on what pump you use) if at any point your sugars get too low just cancel the temp basal rate . but its a good starting point especially when ill. hope you manage to get it sorted , also if in doubt check/replace resevior/cartridge with new insulin and /or infusion set.

Hi Becks , i too have the accu-chek combo and have been pumping for 15 months , my bloods have now come down i think the virus has left my body thank god ! Like you suggested i tried a temp basal rate without much luck and checked cartridge insulin inusion set etc but they just wouldnt come down , i think the virus had to run its course unfortunately .Luckily bloods finally back to normal today (along with 3 hypos) .Thanks for advise much appreciated 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back