blood sugar

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracken8

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
just had blood sugar done at the doctors this pm came up with 15 is this very high been given a home test kit finding that a bit tricky to do i thought i had been good over christmas guess not🙄

you mean he tested you with a testing kit or that was your hbA result ?

is it the fear of the needle when it pricks your finger thats tricky for yu?

A result of 15mmols this afternoon isn't a reflection of how good you were over Christmas, it's more a reflection of what you ate later this morning or for lunch and how it's being processed.

What sort of meter have you been given and what are you finding tricky about it? Usually they are all pretty similar, get the test strip ready in the meter. Then prick your finger to collect a tiny sample of blood - warming your hands can often assist if it's hard to get any blood - as too can increasing the depth of the finger pricking device. Apply the blood sample to the test strip and wait for the result.

Don't keep pricking the same finger in the same place and aim for the side of the finger tip, not the finger tip itself - spreads any pain and pricking the finger tip itself HURTS!

that is what i was doing wrong not putting test strip in machine 1st how silly was i.

Have done another test 2hrs after eating down to 13 🙂🙂

that is what i was doing wrong not putting test strip in machine 1st how silly was i.

Have done another test 2hrs after eating down to 13 🙂🙂

Ah! Glad you got it sorted! Your reading will change a lot after you eat, so it will depend on what your level was before eating and what you ate as to what your 2 hour reading will be. I'd suggest that you take a reading when you get up tomorrow, before eating. This is called your 'fasting' level and monitoring this will give you the best idea of how your dietary and activity changes are helping.

can you tell iam new to this

is it ok to have a cup of tea before i do test

also going out for a pizza tomorrow lunch what is best to have my family and my children are also going just so i have an idea wot not tohave

can you tell iam new to this

is it ok to have a cup of tea before i do test

also going out for a pizza tomorrow lunch what is best to have my family and my children are also going just so i have an idea wot not tohave

Do the test whilst you're waiting for the kettle to boil! It's OK if you don't have sugar in it though.

Pizza can be tricky, as the base has a lot of carbohydrate in it, not been to pizzaria for a while so not sure what else to suggest - perhaps someone else can?

Do the test whilst you're waiting for the kettle to boil! It's OK if you don't have sugar in it though.

Pizza can be tricky, as the base has a lot of carbohydrate in it, not been to pizzaria for a while so not sure what else to suggest - perhaps someone else can?

Glad we fixed the minor technical blip with your testing process, there is always another strange routine, but don't worry about it, ask here first, it's more technical and is called reading the manual 😛

Well most pizzarias serve pasta of some form. The problem for me with pizza is two-fold - one is never enough 🙄 and I suffer from the dreaded double spike! 😱

Glad we fixed the minor technical blip with your testing process, there is always another strange routine, but don't worry about it, ask here first, it's more technical and is called reading the manual 😛

Well most pizzarias serve pasta of some form. The problem for me with pizza is two-fold - one is never enough 🙄 and I suffer from the dreaded double spike! 😱

I think at this point in time as you are testing seeing what does what, see what it does...i spike with shop pizzaso rarely havent ...get higher levels due to the carb and sugar in tomatoes and pastry ...but i never have a problem with chinese where some type2 find it impossible...its all about moderation have one less peice that you use to...its a start...have a salad with it... go for walk after...reduce carb content in next meal ...
as its a long term thing
good luck x

glad you got some blood , like northe days pizza is a mare for alot of us but ok for some , like with most its horses for courses, for example im fine with pizza but give me a indian or a kebab or sumit and im thru next doors roof, its all about finding what works you will get there

xx

Way too High

just had blood sugar done at the doctors this pm came up with 15 is this very high been given a home test kit finding that a bit tricky to do i thought i had been good over christmas guess not🙄

Dear bracken8,

To answer your question directly - yes it's way too high. However, one or two high readings will not cause problems. Have you considered a controlled carbohydrate approach? Contolling carbs and learning what works for you (we are all different!) is, IMHO, the way to go. Remember, you are in this for the long term and you can take your time to find what works for you -see the books thread for useful books on how to go about this. Be aware however that your diabetes team will probably not approve and that it is not easy BUT IT WORKS!

Warmest Regards Dodger

Last edited:
Hi again,

Dodger is quite right - readings of 15 are way too high.

Controlling carbohydrates is the way to go to get a big and quuick improvement in your blood glucose levels. The main message to understand is the need to cut back dramatically on the starchy carbohydrates - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta.

Best wishes - John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back