Blood sugar variations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Degsy12345

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I've been on a steady diet for over 6 months and brought my blood dugar down from 67 to 45. I do two finger prick tests per day and record them. For some months the readings have been steady varying from say 6.5 to 7.5. Suddenly in the last two weeks, with no change in diet they have started swinging unpredictably to as high as 12.5. I have changed my meter and there is no difference. I can see absolutely no reason and am puzzled. Has anyone else had this? Derek

Hi, I've been on a steady diet for over 6 months and brought my blood dugar down from 67 to 45. I do two finger prick tests per day and record them. For some months the readings have been steady varying from say 6.5 to 7.5. Suddenly in the last two weeks, with no change in diet they have started swinging unpredictably to as high as 12.5. I have changed my meter and there is no difference. I can see absolutely no reason and am puzzled. Has anyone else had this? Derek
It could be you have something on your fingers or a dodgy test strip.
There are other reasons for a sudden increase, being unwell, have you just had any vaccinations, a mistake in interpreting the carbs in a meal.
If a reading is unexpectedly high then it is worth a retest having washed your hands well.

When are you taking the readings?

Hi @Degsy12345 welcome to the forum and congratulations on your HBA1c improvement.
Unfortunately, there are many things which can affect our blood sugars.
Sometimes, it is easy to identify the changes (such as the list which @Leadinglights provided above).
Other times, I just put it down to my body fighting off some lurgy which I have not yet seen any symptoms for (apart from the higher BG).

If you have made no changes apart from your meter, your test strips are all in date, you have no illness or injury or ache and not changed diet or medication or time of your tests, it could just be that your lier has dumped some glucose to fight that lurgy.

Sorry to hear about your pesky BGs giving you the runaround, and misbehaving even though you are still doing all the things you used to find successful :(

Any illness brewing? Or are you under stress at the moment?

Any changes in non-diabetes medication?

Sometimes diabetes does just lurch from one phase to another - so it could be that your diabetes has decided to change the rules for a while?

Hope you can find a new set of strategies, portions, and menu choices that suit your diabetes now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back