Blood sugar spike in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helen1955

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I have been on a low carb diet, not keto, for 2 weeks and my morning blood sugar has come down from 9.1 to yesterday's 7.6. fantastic. However today's AM reading was 10.5 and I did not change what I ate at all yesterday.
I am a vegetarian. I also have IBS.
Does anyone have anyone have any ideas as to what happened?
I take 4 x 500mg metformin a day and inject Victoza once a day, I have just put my dose of Victoza up from 1.2ml to 1.4ml [over a week ago]
Thanks

If you get an unexpected result it is always worth washing your hands and testing again, just to be sure it is not something on your fingers.
Did you test at exactly the same time, as in just as you got up, after pottering about or still in bed as that can make a difference if you get what is referred to as Foot on the floor phenomenon, where the liver tries to be helpful in releasing glucose into the body to give you energy to hunt for breakfast, a hang over from our ancestors.

If you get an unexpected result it is always worth washing your hands and testing again, just to be sure it is not something on your fingers.
Did you test at exactly the same time, as in just as you got up, after pottering about or still in bed as that can make a difference if you get what is referred to as Foot on the floor phenomenon, where the liver tries to be helpful in releasing glucose into the body to give you energy to hunt for breakfast, a hang over from our ancestors.
Hi
thanks for the reply. I tested a few minutes later today, always wash my hand and rinse well under running water. I did 6 separate tests and they were all over 11 so went with the first reading of 10.5. I have wondered if it is dawn syndrome but it hadn't happened for five days.
I am also really careful in reading the carb amounts in all my veggie mains.
Here's hoping the reading is better tomorrow morning. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back