Blood sugar reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keithy308

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good afternoon group

Today I got the news that my blood sugars are extremely high. They have risen from my last blood test in September 2021 of 98 to a December reading of 131. The doctor is considering putting me on injections as he is concerned that I could have a hypoglycaemic incident. The problem I have with being on insulin dependent injections, is that I work in a safety critical industry (railways) and doing this could jeopardise my current role. With covid having such a negative impact on the railways, I fear I could be put out of job.

Has anyone got any advice on how I can bring this all back under control please.

Has anyone got any advice on how I can bring this all back under control please.
Firstly you need to tell people what meds you are on and what you have been doing to try and manage your diabetes.

I think you mean “hyperglycaemic”

How do you manage your diabetes, @Keithy308 ?
Many people with type 2 (who hopefully will be along soon as I have Type 1) find that reducing the carbs that they eat greatly helps reduce their levels.
Is it possible for you to change our diet?

Do you check you blood sugars every day or just for the blood tests with your GP?
Blood testing before and after you eat allows you to adapt your diet to find out what carbs your body can tolerate.

I am just thinking of what you can do if you want o avoid insulin injections. However, as diabetes is protected under the Disability Discrimination Act, your employer needs to take reasonable adjustments to your job rather than firing you because you use insulin.
I know people with Type 1 (so have no choice about using insulin) who work as paramedic and fly planes so injecting insulin does not preclude you from having a safety critical job.

Good afternoon group

Today I got the news that my blood sugars are extremely high. They have risen from my last blood test in September 2021 of 98 to a December reading of 131. The doctor is considering putting me on injections as he is concerned that I could have a hypoglycaemic incident. The problem I have with being on insulin dependent injections, is that I work in a safety critical industry (railways) and doing this could jeopardise my current role. With covid having such a negative impact on the railways, I fear I could be put out of job.

Leadinglights posted a link to a relevant post, I guess you've probably read it by now. That was my post. I work for Network Rail (directly), the following comments are probably irrelevant if you are a contractor because everything depends on the understanding of both the condition, and current law by your employer. Do you work directly for Network Rail? If so I may be able to allay a few fears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back