Blood Sugar Monitors - Any Advice Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicki-Lou

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi
I saw my GP today following symptoms of fatigue/exhaustion, shakiness if I haven't eaten for a couple of hours, and an incident of suddenly becoming feint and nearly passing out. He suggested that it could be blood pressure or blood sugars dropping, and has suggested I monitor at home. I was just wondering if anybody had any recommendations for blood sugar monitors please? I am looking online and there are so many different brands, and so many conflicting reviews! I really don't want to spend a lot but I also don't want to waste money on a cheap one if it isn't going to help me much...

Thank you!

I use a Contour Blue, which was free (Using a website I found - google around to see if you can find the offer.)
Good quality piece of hardware and the strips aren't hugely expensive. There's a phone app and website that gives you reports. I also have a Contour Next but find the strips expensive. Contour have a good reputation for accuracy.

The cheap one I bought... went in the bin.

Hi
I saw my GP today following symptoms of fatigue/exhaustion, shakiness if I haven't eaten for a couple of hours, and an incident of suddenly becoming feint and nearly passing out. He suggested that it could be blood pressure or blood sugars dropping, and has suggested I monitor at home. I was just wondering if anybody had any recommendations for blood sugar monitors please? I am looking online and there are so many different brands, and so many conflicting reviews! I really don't want to spend a lot but I also don't want to waste money on a cheap one if it isn't going to help me much...

Thank you!
Hello @Nicki-Lou ,

I am unsure of your budget but I thought I would link to our shop page of monitors. If you are confused on what type to purchase, you can always give our helpline a call for more information on them. Hope that helps.

I use a Contour Blue, which was free (Using a website I found - google around to see if you can find the offer.)
Good quality piece of hardware and the strips aren't hugely expensive. There's a phone app and website that gives you reports. I also have a Contour Next but find the strips expensive. Contour have a good reputation for accuracy.

The cheap one I bought... went in the bin.
Thank you! I will look into Contour, especially if they have a good reputation for accuracy that's great, thank you so much!

Hello @Nicki-Lou ,

I am unsure of your budget but I thought I would link to our shop page of monitors. If you are confused on what type to purchase, you can always give our helpline a call for more information on them. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much! I will check it out!

One consideration is the cost of the strips as that is the consumable part of the kit. If your doctor has suggested you monitor at home then really they should be prescribing a monitor and strips but many people who are Type 2 do have to self fund.
I think it is only if you are on medication for diabetes that you don't have to pay for prescriptions unless of course you are an oldie like me or live in Wales or Scotland I believe.

I use Roche AccuChek Mobile. It holds a cassette with 50 tests and has no need of strip insertion or chucking used strips away each time.I have to do 5-8 tests a day because I have no hypo awareness and horribly variable Type 1. I’ve had it, diabetes, for 66 years. You just prick your finger, press a button on the AccuChek Mobileplace my pricked finger on the revealed strip and a few seconds later I have my reading. Magic with no messing about. Quick, easy and tidy.
The only problem is that Roche, very annoyingly say they won’t be making them soon. It is the best diabetic pump or blood tester or CGM I’ve ever used.
Adam

One consideration is the cost of the strips as that is the consumable part of the kit. If your doctor has suggested you monitor at home then really they should be prescribing a monitor and strips but many people who are Type 2 do have to self fund.
I think it is only if you are on medication for diabetes that you don't have to pay for prescriptions unless of course you are an oldie like me or live in Wales or Scotland I believe.
Thank you! Ha yes, I agree with you there!
I have a pre payment card for prescriptions, I live on the Welsh border though and I keep saying I need to move 5 minutes down the road as it would save me so much money in prescriptions haha!

I use Roche AccuChek Mobile. It holds a cassette with 50 tests and has no need of strip insertion or chucking used strips away each time.I have to do 5-8 tests a day because I have no hypo awareness and horribly variable Type 1. I’ve had it, diabetes, for 66 years. You just prick your finger, press a button on the AccuChek Mobileplace my pricked finger on the revealed strip and a few seconds later I have my reading. Magic with no messing about. Quick, easy and tidy.
The only problem is that Roche, very annoyingly say they won’t be making them soon. It is the best diabetic pump or blood tester or CGM I’ve ever used.
Adam
If you self fund this is one of the most expensive to fund.

check out the website for the booklet Meds and Kits which lists all the BG kits on the market. you could also ask your GP as he is suggesting you test at home if he will provide one on prescription. you should then get the test strips free too.

Thank you! I will look into Contour, especially if they have a good reputation for accuracy that's great, thank you so much!

Contour xt strips are excellent, but they are pretty pricey £25ish

Many forum members rely on the SD Gluco Navii or the Spirit Tee2 - which both have test strips at around £8-10 for a pot of 50, znd which are reliable and perform well.

I used to have a Contour Next One but it started playing up so I got myself a free Contour Plus Blue which apart from size/shape has the same features and works with the same app. Best thing is the strips are only £8.50 for 50 from Chemist4U.

(You may think it strange that a T1 is funding their own strips but our ICB will only fund Finetest strips, which I found to be pretty rubbish, along with the meter which I keep for occasional use only)

I also have the Contour Plus Blue and haven't had any problems with it and it's so easy to use. If you look at the 'shop' tab on this site, it's listed there.

Accu-check are the brand my Gp surgery give out, the supplies used to be expensive to buy privately, not sure of current prices but research on any models before you buy so you understand the cost for longer term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back