Blood sugar monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarelryxx

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi just a quick question as a newly diagnosed lada type 1 diabetic when I had my telephone call with my consultant he mentioned the libre 2 and I have seen advertisements in tv for dexcom and just wondering which is the better any feedback would be great thanks

I would say it is horses for courses.
If you are based in England you should be entitled to Libre 2 or Dexcom ONE on prescription.
Libre has been available to most people on insulin for longer than the Dexcom. The Dexcom ONE is a recent product although the "G-series" (I started on the G4 and I think they are up to G7) has been around for years. The G-series are more expensive so not available as readily on prescription. For example, I have to get pregnant to be entitled to the G7.

The Dexcom uses Bluetooth to send data to your reader which could be a phone app.
The Libre only uses the Bluetooth for alarms. You need to use NFC for the numbers. This is the technology used for things like Apple Pay - you have to hold your phone up to the sensor to get the data which can be annoying. For those technically minded, there are ways around this.

The general feeling is that the Dexcom is more accurate. However, I say this is "horses for courses" because I found the complete opposite and used Libre most of the time.

Another difference between the two is the list of supported phones (although a separate reader is available for both). Libre is supported on a much wider range of phones. Pretty much, as long as your phone has NFC, Libre works. But Dexcom is much more restricted.

If you live in the UK, I recommend talking to your GP or diabetes nurse and asking to get one or the other on prescription as soon as possible.
The next step would be to undertake training (it is mostly online and simple) and read around about the limitations. Neither are total replacements for finger pricking.

Hi just a quick question as a newly diagnosed lada type 1 diabetic when I had my telephone call with my consultant he mentioned the libre 2 and I have seen advertisements in tv for dexcom and just wondering which is the better any feedback would be great thanks
Some people don't get on well with one or the other (there can be allergic reactions to the adhesive and presumably something more subtle changing accuracy meaning one or the other work less well).

If you use a smartphone it's worth checking on Dexcom's web site to see if it's compatible (or not); LibreLink works on most iPhone and Android phones, and Dexcom's software works on most iPhones and relatively few Android ones.

Libre 2 is more convenient in that it's just the sensor (Dexcom needs a transmitter inserted to work), on the other hand (with the supported software) Libre 2 needs to be scanned (though it offers alarms even without) whereas Dexcom sends the data to your phone.

I don't think there's a wrong choice. If they're offering Libre 2 that'll be fine (it's what I use), and if your phone is compatible and they're prescribing Dexcom One I'm sure that'll be fine too.

Hope you get on well with whichever you choose @Clarelryxx 🙂

I look forward to hearing what you choose to do @Clarelryxx
great that they are offering this to you already, and implementing the new guidelines.

The sensor data are so good for showing overall patterns and helping you to see what changes are needed to insulin doses and ratios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back