Blood sugar levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

stpn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All
Can anyone tell me what is considered a normal blood sugar level for anyone with type 2 diabetes.
Thanks

Depends what you mean by "normal"

I was just wondering what is considered to be an acceptable level for blood sugar readings, and thank you for the reply

I like to be under 7 mmol/l at all times.. but I've been in remission since 2016.

It depends on whether you mean blood glucose from a home monitor or HbA1C
From your monitor people aim at 4-7mmol/l before meals or fasting/morning readings and no more that 8mmol/l 2 hours post eating a meal.
Keeping in that range constistently should give a normal HbA1C. Below 42 mmol/mol is normal but people with type 2 seem to be told below 48mmol/mol is OK.
I find that a bit odd as that would be the level that would give a diabetic diagnosis so personally below 42mmol/mol is a better place to aim at.

It depends on whether you mean blood glucose from a home monitor or HbA1C
From your monitor people aim at 4-7mmol/l before meals or fasting/morning readings and no more that 8mmol/l 2 hours post eating a meal.
Keeping in that range constistently should give a normal HbA1C. Below 42 mmol/mol is normal but people with type 2 seem to be told below 48mmol/mol is OK.
I find that a bit odd as that would be the level that would give a diabetic diagnosis so personally below 42mmol/mol is a better place to aim at.
Hi
I am thinking the home finger test I have type 2 and I am thinking it maybe useful

Hi
I am thinking the home finger test I have type 2 and I am thinking it maybe useful
Most people find it very useful to find which food they can tolerate by testing before they eat and after 2 hours, an increase of no more than 2-3mmol/l will indicate the meal is ok if more then rather too carb heavy so you can take action and reduce the carbs by cutting something high carb out or reducing your portion size. The phrase eat to your meter gives you the control over your diabetes.
As levels come down then you look for the no more than 8mmol/l 2 hours after eating. once you have established something is ok then no need to test that meal again.
People also test in the morning to check progress day to day, week to week or if you feel unwell.

Most people find it very useful to find which food they can tolerate by testing before they eat and after 2 hours, an increase of no more than 2-3mmol/l will indicate the meal is ok if more then rather too carb heavy so you can take action and reduce the carbs by cutting something high carb out or reducing your portion size. The phrase eat to your meter gives you the control over your diabetes.
As levels come down then you look for the no more than 8mmol/l 2 hours after eating. once you have established something is ok then no need to test that meal again.
People also test in the morning to check progress day to day, week to week or if you feel unwell.
Thank you for your reply I will do the home test as it maybe useful I am grateful for your reply

Hi All
Can anyone tell me what is considered a normal blood sugar level for anyone with type 2 diabetes.
Thanks

These are the targets Diabetes U.K. give:

If you have type 2 diabetes

• before meals: 4 to 7mmol/l
  • two hours after meals: less than 8.5mmol/l

167006E1-ADD3-42EF-8FF4-AB1A48E304B6.jpeg

I'm kinda new to this whole blood sugar management thing, and your insights are super helpful. Thanks for breaking down the numbers—I've been aiming for those 4-7 mmol/l readings, and it's good to know I'm on the right track. About the HbA1C levels, it's interesting to see the variations. I've been curious about the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load lately. Do you guys ever consider that when planning meals? I've been diving into the blueberries glycemic index lately. Surprised to find out they're on the lower side!

I'm kinda new to this whole blood sugar management thing, and your insights are super helpful. Thanks for breaking down the numbers—I've been aiming for those 4-7 mmol/l readings, and it's good to know I'm on the right track. About the HbA1C levels, it's interesting to see the variations. I've been curious about the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load lately. Do you guys ever consider that when planning meals? I've been diving into the blueberries glycemic index lately. Surprised to find out they're on the lower side!

We had a similar question yesterday @MilieWolf and you might be interested in the responses and experiences here

GI and GL can be a helpful indication, but responses to food are very individual, so it‘s never going to be a guarantee of how your individual body / metabolism / gut biome will respond.

Of all the berries, many folks here find blueberries to be on the carbier / more glucose-raising end. Raspberries, Strawberries, and Blackbetties etc seem to be able to be eaten in larger portions.

I did use about 20 years ago, but I had to adjusted what worked for me. Over the years I have had to evaluate and readjust what works for me many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back