blood sugar levels no longer supplied with testing equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

papagray

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi,
i thought i would touch this subject alas i do have a problem, without the ability to test yourself easily and frequently it is impossible to monitor ones own sugar levels, i have arthritis and trigger finger in my right hand, so find it difficult to hold it steady, recently i stopped testing myself as i was discouraged by my GP, i went for a surgical procedure to have steroid injections into my knee under surgical conditions a pain blocker, i just happened to mention i was diabetic level 2 , even though the hospital was in the same health area it had not fed down to my computerised notes, she did a finger prick and with a massive machine took the test, she apologised and said she needed to do it again at this point she said my blood sugars were very high and would need to see the consultant she came back with an additional nurse and they said my blood sugars were dangerously high 24. the surgeon said no need for a blood test the procedure is now cancelled, and he explained that the steroid he would use would up my sugar levels even more and could have put me into a diabetic coma, and i need to see my GP it took two weeks and she was a junior doctor not authorised to up medication, finally i got a message to take two metformin tablets, i have checked my bloods first thing and it never drops below 14. and as high as 18 i have a fatty liver and enlarged spleen (which i was recently informed by my consultant have had for over 10 years) trying to speak to GP is impossible as i have had an invitation to have a couple of operations i have waited over 4 years to be done, and i anticipate they will be stopped as well anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?
do remember to tell hospitals that you have diabetes 2, as we are not monitored as we should be (my wife had to remind the GP i had not had my blood test in April for monitoring the diabetes in September) i do wounder if this money saving exercise has caused any deaths among us sufferers, i was in the same hospital for my knee locked and placed in a high dependency watch ward with my bloods taken repeatedly i was not told only they were very high then but it was not added to my notes, anyhow be careful anyone has ideas how to reduce without starving myself i used sugar to combat my fatigue as i have post-polio

Hi. Sorry to hear that your steroid treatment was cancelled as a result of high blood glucose levels. The important thing with Type 2 diabetes management is to lose weight and/or reduce your carbohydrate intake. Carbohydrates are not just sugar but also starchy carbs like bread, pasta, rice potatoes, breakfast cereals etc. Eating sugar because you are fatigued will just create a vicious circle because it is high glucose levels which make you tired and if you eat more sugar or carbs in general, it will make them worse. There are still plenty of tasty filling things to eat, but it takes a whole different mind set because culturally we have been brought up and lived all our lives basing meals on starchy carbs and bread is such a convenient means of serving food either as sandwiches or on toast or to dip in soup or mop up the yolk of eggs etc.
I was a sugar addict and carb monster at diagnosis so I understand how difficult it can be but I now really enjoy the foods that I eat but they are very different from what I used to eat. One of the key things to make it enjoyable was to eat more fat which is something we have been told not to do all our lives, but fat provides slow release energy and doesn't impact our glucose levels and it tastes good. I very rarely eat potatoes or bread and I haven't had pasta since diagnosis 4.5 years ago but I eat plenty of cheese and eggs and fatty meat and lots of green veg. I can still have steak and chips but it is served with celeriac chips instead of potato and I have it with a large salad and a big dollop of full fat coleslaw. Breakfast is usually creamy Greek style natural yoghurt (not low fat) with a few mixed berries and mixed seeds and my morning coffee is made with real double cream because it is lower carb and higher fat than milk and it tastes luxurious. Eating like this, my weight is stable and I feel fitter and healthier than I have in years. A number of quite serious health conditions have improved including migraines and joint pain and interestingly my cholesterol has gone down despite eating more fat. But most importantly I don't feel fatigued, my BG levels are more stable and I don't feel hungry between meals and in fact I often only need 2 meals a day, sometimes just one. I still really enjoy my food but I am not compelled to eat every couple of hours like I was before. It really has been quite a revelation for me. At coming up 60 next year, I am fitter and healthier than I was 20 years ago and a good bit of that is down to changing my diet.

Following a low carb way of eating is probably more powerful that any medication you can be prescribed and there are some people who have come off insulin and manage their diabetes well by this means. I am not saying it is easy at first because it isn't and eating out can be a challenge, but the more you practice and experiment, the more tasty foods you discover, plus your tastes change and you don't crave sweet stuff and bread etc anymore.

Sorry about the cancellation of your procedure because of elevated glucose levels, and the difficulty that not being able to monitor glucose at home has caused you :(

I’m afraid it is not an uncommon situation for people with T2 to experience in the UK.

Many GPs and practice nurses suggest self monitoring is only helpful if on medication that can cause hypoglycaemia, and ignore all of the other ways in which the information can help people manage their glucose levels and optimise their menu :(

I’m not sure if there are particular models which are designed to be easier for people with arthritis and joint problems in their hands? Perhaps something like the AccuChek Mobile might be less fiddly if that is still made - as it had a cartridge of tests which advanced automatically rather than needing to insert a strip. It also had the lancing device built-in, so fewer things to hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back