• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Blood sugar 9.6 and I haven’t eaten since lunch

shawdb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed as T2 in December. I am on metformin (4 tablets per day) and I have been measuring my blood sugar every other day before and after meals.

Today I have eaten
Bf: scambled egg and smoked salmon with a coffee with unsweetened almond milk
Lunch: small slice of homemade sourdough and bacon with water

My blood sugar two hours after lunch it was 9.2. I tested now just before dinner and it is 9.6 which is 4.5 hours after last test. I havent eaten or drank anything except water. I also went on a dog walk for an hour (a very hilly walk).

I’m not eating dinner to see of I can get it to come down.
Any ideas why it might still be so high?

I have lost just under a stone since being diagnosed. My numbers seem to be getting worse not better.

Last edited:

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
There could be a number of reasons, unfortunately food is not the only thing that effects BG, stress, illness are just 2 others of the MANY things that can so unfortunately none of us can give a definitive answer to your question xx

shawdb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That makes sense. Thanks x

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It might be that the bread is the culprit. It is just so high in carbohydrate. I would certainly have had a reading in the teens. You could eat some protein and fat for dinner with perhaps something low carb to go with it, or afterwards.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Perhaps all the hills of your walk had an effect? Sometimes strenuous exercise can cause blood sugar to rise for some people.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is it cut and dried that you have type 2 diabetes? After reading your other posts I'm wondering if you are a slow onset type 1?

shawdb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It might be that the bread is the culprit. It is just so high in carbohydrate. I would certainly have had a reading in the teens. You could eat some protein and fat for dinner with perhaps something low carb to go with it, or afterwards.
I’ve found that i can’t eat shop bread as my blood sugar goes to 12+. Up until now a slice of my sourdough at lunch has been fine and i’ve always been within 2 units pf my pre meal level.

I’m going to test again shortly and i’ll make a salad with some chicken.

shawdb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Is it cut and dried that you have type 2 diabetes? After reading your other posts I'm wondering if you are a slow onset type 1?
How would I know?

I had gestational diabetes in during both pregnancies. I needed My mother had type 2 as did my grandmother although they were older than me when diagnosed.

I’m trying so so hard to get my numbers down.

I’ve been on full dose metformin since 11 January.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You need to ask your GP to do some blood tests to confirm what type of diabetes you have. :)
It's not your fault your numbers are not coming down as you are obviously putting a lot of effort into your diet and exercise.
If you do have type 1 then only insulin will bring your numbers down. So ask your GP to run some tests so the right treatment can be given to you.

Billy Bob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Are you washing your hands properly before prick testing ? I always make sure I do now as I was getting high reading when I didn't

shawdb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have a telephone appointment with my diabetic nurse on Wednesday. I’ll ask about it. Thank you for your advice and support. I feel like i’m in a losing battle at the moment.

Billy Bob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have a telephone appointment with my diabetic nurse on Wednesday. I’ll ask about it. Thank you for your advice and support. I feel like i’m in a losing battle at the moment.
Try not to beat yourself up about it as I have on many occasions . Try to write down all your concerns before your telephone appointment so as you don't forget any questions you want to ask .
I hope this helps and remember your not alone in this as these forums have helped me

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Please try not to worry and certainly don’t beat yourself up about it ok.
Though 9.6 is a tad on the high side it is not terribly high.

As has already been said their are numerous things that can affect our BGs.
Since I’ve been on insulin I’ve noticed that my body seems to be aware that I am going to be ill a few days before I notice any symptoms . But as you realise now their are loads of other reasons.
Somewhere on here their is a thread listing the 40+ reasons, I’ve looked for it bau can’t find the thread.

Robert1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’ve found that i can’t eat shop bread as my blood sugar goes to 12+. Up until now a slice of my sourdough at lunch has been fine and i’ve always been within 2 units pf my pre meal level.

I’m going to test again shortly and i’ll make a salad with some chicken.
Somebody will have to confirm this, but I think I read somewhere that the liver sometimes releases sugar if it thinks the body has burnt off too much sugar, with exercise for example.