Blood pressure tablets cause weight gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally W

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I’ve been time restricted eating lunch & dinner with stable blood sugar for a while.

Since taking losartan for high blood pressure my weight loss not only stalled but I’m gaining. Blood pressure is now high due to weight gain.

Has anyone else experienced weight gain on tablets? I tried amlodpine but had to switch due to side effects.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Dunno but Lisinopril having caused the dreaded ACE cough they changed me to Losartan which caused my serum sodium level the drop below 130 and stay there so they then tried other things. No weight gain even though I took it for ?5 years. Amlodipine caused my ankles and feet to swell to double their normal size within a few days and low sodium contra-indicates use of diuretics so I then had to experiment with kissing a few more frogs. So - if it is the Losartan, you could always request a change to a different type of medication.

What does it say on the patient information leaflet?
Its not listed as a side effect on leaflet. Some people on forums have complained about it. But they’re just google searches I’ve done.

Dunno but Lisinopril having caused the dreaded ACE cough they changed me to Losartan which caused my serum sodium level the drop below 130 and stay there so they then tried other things. No weight gain even though I took it for ?5 years. Amlodipine caused my ankles and feet to swell to double their normal size within a few days and low sodium contra-indicates use of diuretics so I then had to experiment with kissing a few more frogs. So - if it is the Losartan, you could always request a change to a different type of medication.
That’s interesting. As you say some medications don’t suit everyone. Gaining weight is a side effect my diabetes doesn’t like so when I get a review of my weekly readings I’ve just sent to GP I’ll ask if I can change. They put me on losartan as it was supposed to have a protective effect on the kidneys….thnka

I have been put on a number of different blood pressure meds, started on 5mg amlodipine and on that dose for years but it was then increased to 10mg but I had swollen ankles and felt awful, so went back to 5mg. They then added losartan at 25mg but felt awful so I reduced it myself to 12.5 by breaking in half but was told off and put on candesartan 2mg which seemed OK but then having lost weight, I started to get pretty low Blood pressure so dropped that. Now just on the 5mg amlodipine which seems to be keeping me stable.
There are so many different blood pressure meds, I'm sure you will find something which suits you in the end.

Thank you! I didn’t get on with amlodopin but started on 1/2 losartan & weight stable - once I doubled it weigh started increasing. Also BP now sky high. Knowing you’ve changed makes me realise I should also be pushing GP. My readings this week alone should do that anyway

Yeah - you presumably haven't consulted the doc about the weight gain - and none of em are taught how to read patients' minds AFAIK! 😉

Yes I did months ago and they fobbed me off saying couldn’t have been tablets & I had to keep taking medication as best for diabetes. They didn’t need to be mind readers but now BP is sky high they should listen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back