Blood Ketone Meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owenblade

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hiya

I've been Type 1 for 25 years (I was diagnosed in my early twenties) done fine until 2 weeks ago when I got ketoacidosis.

I'm looking for a monitor for ketone levels and the ones on amazon seem to charge a fortune for the strips - which meter is best?

Thanks
Owen

Sorry to read about your recent DKa. I hope you are recovered/recovering.

Are you based in the UK?
If you are, you should not have to pay for a ketone meter and strips.
Due to the risk of DKA, these should be available on prescriptionand something you should demand (politely) from your GP/DSN.

If you are having to fund it yourself, Ketostix maybe a cheaper option - these test urine rather than blood and give less precise readings but still a useful check against DKA.

As Helli says I got mine from my DSN on perscription to use if I felt unwell so cost me £9.35 for 10 strips, as I still waiting for my medical excemption to come through as they dont bother to mention if you are on insulin all perscriptions are free.

If you have a Libre the handset is also a meter,that takes glucose and ketone strips.

If you have a Libre the handset is also a meter,that takes glucose and ketone strips.
That's what I was going to say - and the fact is - blood ketone testing strips DO cost a flippin fortune. The ones for the Freestyle Libre Reader/BG & ketone meter are £22 for 10.

That's what I was going to say - and the fact is - blood ketone testing strips DO cost a flippin fortune. The ones for the Freestyle Libre Reader/BG & ketone meter are £22 for 10.
I bought some cheaper than that, from Amazon.

Hiya

I've been Type 1 for 25 years (I was diagnosed in my early twenties) done fine until 2 weeks ago when I got ketoacidosis.

I'm looking for a monitor for ketone levels and the ones on amazon seem to charge a fortune for the strips - which meter is best?

Thanks
Owen
I use a Glucomen Areo 2K. It was given to me by my DSN and I get the ketone strips on prescription. The Areo 2K can take normal BG testing strips and strips for testing ketones. I don't use it for BG testing, however, I have an Accu-Chek Mobile for this, which I also get on prescription.

I would speak to your team if I were you - you will be able to get a meter on prescription, as you will need them in case you are ill and need to test your ketones more regularly. Alternatively, as @helli says, you can also get some Ketostix, which, while not as accurate as they test the ketones in your urine, will give a general indication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back