Blood Glucose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Okay I start new regime today after I get these books at lunch . But so far would you agree with me . These are blood readings before and after. Breakfast porridge before ( b) 10.5 (a) After 7.2.
Lunch left over pork carrot cabbage
( b) 6.8 (a) 7.5
Before fish n chips 7.4
After was a wrapping 12
This morning 10.4 after 7.7

Waking up yesterday 8.6
Today 9 .
So no medals fir saying you cannot eat fish n chips I knew that but this was night regime.
But why is porridge better than an omlette?
Also the left over pork was cooked with honey so that too I thought was not too high a jump for that.
As far as blood sugars I’m clueless. Today the books will target cholesterol . I’m all over the place with this.

As a long term member here there does not appear to be any obvious reason why some can tolerate porridge and others can’t.
So would you say I tolerate that ? I make mine with water and add milk but I guess I could add cream but then some say it’s high carb , anyway it’s on the diabetic website in other ways but bring Scottish I make with water and leave the salt out. But I dare say these days it has salt added .

Porridge is quite slow to digest so will trickle through to your bloodstream gradually and won’t spike your blood sugars as high as you might expect given how much carbohydrate is in it. When my daughter used to eat porridge, we would have to tell her pump to drip the insulin slowly over 90 minutes or she would invariably go hypo, because the insulin would get working faster than the porridge would get digested!
Having said that everyone is different, maybe you are lucky with porridge. Some people may not be able to eat it at all.

Some people just do need some carbs in the morning otherwise if they have a carb free meal like an omelette their body dumps out too much sugar. Egg on one toast might work if you prefer eating eggs to porridge in the morning.

When I tried eating some 'rolled' oats with a few raspberries and peanut butter last year while I was using a 'free' Libre sensor, I saw a rapid spike up to around 10 (From 6.6), then a rapid fall back down < 7.0 within 2 hours. It came down as fast as it went up and the graph was quite striking, it was the only time I saw anything like that. I stopped eating oats and went back to my Greek yoghurt with nuts and fruit which doesn't spike me at all.

I only had them occasionally (Maybe once every few weeks) for variety, although generally overnight oats in cold almond - this time they were just made fresh with almond milk and heated.

So would you say I tolerate that ? I make mine with water and add milk but I guess I could add cream but then some say it’s high carb , anyway it’s on the diabetic website in other ways but bring Scottish I make with water and leave the salt out. But I dare say these days it has salt added .
As you have a fall in levels not rise I would think so.

Well seems like looking after myself has helped today at least. When I got up it was 7.5 then dropped to 7.2 after breakfast before lunch it was 8 post lunch it was6.3 and just now before tea as I came in from driving thinking this is getting low it was 5.9 . I know not great but oh so much better and within two points which for me is better than the swings . Hoping to be good tonight as hubby is out so first test can I pass. Hopefully television will be good and supper will fill me up.

When you first start testing it is worth testing the same meal a couple of times before rejecting it completely especially if it is something you like. If the increase has been a bit higher than you really want just reduce the portion a bit and add something low carb instead.
Also worth recording what exactly you actually had and quantities as well as your glucose reading so you can spot trends.

When you first start testing it is worth testing the same meal a couple of times before rejecting it completely especially if it is something you like. If the increase has been a bit higher than you really want just reduce the portion a bit and add something low carb instead.
Also worth recording what exactly you actually had and quantities as well as your glucose reading so you can spot trends.
Yes I think that is true, also for knowing what could be a safe treat. I think how much exercise we do as well makes a huge difference as does his hydrated we are.

Okay this morning I tested the coffee nowt else and on awake I was 8.9 and then after coffee it’s 11 .4 So I’m going to try red bush but I have that with milk. Nescafé gold blend may have something I dunno or is it I’m up now and I know it usually stabilises before lunch ?

Okay this morning I tested the coffee nowt else and on awake I was 8.9 and then after coffee it’s 11 .4 So I’m going to try red bush but I have that with milk. Nescafé gold blend may have something I dunno or is it I’m up now and I know it usually stabilises before lunch ?
Have you done the test with nothing but the water? Maybe you would have gone up anyway? Some people have to have food in the morning otherwise their liver dumps glucose.

Have you done the test with nothing but the water? Maybe you would have gone up anyway? Some people have to have food in the morning otherwise their liver dumps glucose.
No, will try that tomorrow

I know as I use a Libre, at 6 am my levels were around 7, without having anything to eat or drink it shot up 9. All I had done was sit up in bed,
In the last few days I have been substituting some of my coffee's with milk, to Chamomile Tea, and it has made no difference to my levels.

Yes I am thinking that but then I had two slices of nimble hovis and olive spread and marmite . Having tidied around the house .I drove to nearby town for cat litter, a walk up a hill to the bank and return. I have just taken it now it’s 5.9 . Having red bush and a satsuma as feel it’s low for me and I’m not waiting until one at lunch. Need a good lunch . Maybe omlettte . Then what tonight ? Some folks plan but on my own I don’t know what to fancy .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back