Blood glucose watches

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptTony

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi there, I wondered if anyone has tried using one of these new blood glucose watches that apparently amongst other things measures your blood glucose without any form of invasive prick. They are not too expensive, and I was wondering whether to try one. Before doing so, however, I thought I would check this site as there is a huge amount of experience here, and I imagine somebody has tried it and has an informed view. Thank you.

This has been a common topic recently (you can find the threads using the Search function at the top right of every page).
The conclusion is the same in all threads - they do not work!
If you read the small print, most say something like “not suitable for medical use.”

Did not know it was a thing. But I would expect the tech to get smarter with the rate of change even over the past 10 years. Looking at technology in general.

This has been a common topic recently (you can find the threads using the Search function at the top right of every page).
The conclusion is the same in all threads - they do not work!
If you read the small print, most say something like “not suitable for medical use.”
Thank you.

Yes a waste of money I’m afraid.

Diabetes UK say they are not regulated, do not have to meet any kind of accuracy or reliability criteria, and that they are not recommended:
  • There is currently no regulation for this technology to be tested for accuracy in the same way that glucose sensors (CGM and Flash) are.
  • Where accuracy data is available and from customer reviews, this technology does not currently provide accurate enough data (especially for anyone living with type 1 diabetes)
  • People should continue to use the blood glucose monitoring equipment supplied by their diabetes teams.
  • If an individual with type 2 diabetes is considering purchasing one as a guide, they should discuss this with their diabetes healthcare professional. We should also make them aware of this GOV.UK webpage - Know what you're buying! which has information to help people buy medicines and medical devices online safely. Please note – this is not an endorsement of buying medicines/medical devices online – it is information on what people should look out for and check when looking at these products online
  • We would not recommend purchasing as a gift for a friend with diabetes

Thank you very much to you all for your replies. I shall stop thinking about getting one.

Thank you very much to you all for your replies. I shall stop thinking about getting one.
I would suggest not to get one now but to keep an eye on the advances in technology.
For example, I believe Apple is working on a smart watch that measures BG so it could happen.
There again, didn’t they also work on the contact lenses that could detect BG and indicate highs and lows with very small lights/leds? 🙄

There again, didn’t they also work on the contact lenses that could detect BG and indicate highs and lows with very small lights/leds?
That one was a Google-associated company, I think. (Quite possibly Apple has also looked at that. Who knows?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back