Blood glucose watches

Status
Not open for further replies.

EyeInTheSky

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The internet is flooded with watches that supposedly read your blood glucose level, is there any advice from the medical world and/or Diabetes UK on the validity of these gadgets please?

I think the small print on these devices usually say something about not being medical devices.
This article is from a blog I have subscribed to and gives a review of a sample glucose watch.
Spoler alert: he wasn't impressed.

Having a watch that can read your glucose levels has been something that Apple and Samsung have been working on for a couple of years. If they haven't done it yet then I don't think some cheap watch from unknown makers have either. Save your money and avoid. You can get your blood glucose to show on your watch using a variety of 3rd party apps.
Martin

The internet is flooded with watches that supposedly read your blood glucose level, is there any advice from the medical world and/or Diabetes UK on the validity of these gadgets please?
There are people on YouTube regularly reviewing them, and the consensus seems to be that they're toys. I'm not sure they're doing anything more than making up graphs that look plausible. (For people without diabetes, that is.)

Having a watch that can read your glucose levels has been something that Apple and Samsung have been working on for a couple of years. If they haven't done it yet then I don't think some cheap watch from unknown makers have either.
Worth bearing in mind that a surprisingly lot of inventions that come from the likes of Apple and other big tech actually originated from small companies that were bought out or had there tech licenced.
Steve Jobs said in 1986 "Picasso had a saying -- 'good artists copy; great artists steal' -- and we [Apple] have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." Just ask Xerox PARC!
Anyway.....

The whole UI on Apple came from Xerox, and Jobs was clever enough to use Unix for MacOS X instead of trying to develop a new one.

Ah well, if you have Type 1 diabetes and you're between 18 & 65, UHCW are inviting people to take part in a trial of non invasive BG testing gadgets. I'd have been happy to take part myself but now too flipping old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back