Blood glucose testing needed or not?

sarah'11

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi I want as many people who are type 1 diabetic do you do blood glucose testing every day are can you live safely with out testing ?

Are you talking about relying mostly on a Constant Glucose Monitor (CGM) or are you talking about not testing at all?

Hi @sarah'11 and welcome to the forum. I have read your post a couple of times and I am not sure what you are asking about. Do you want to look at it and perhaps try again?

Oh and welcome to the forum, since I see this is your first post.

Hi @sarah'11 - welcome to the forum - I'm assuming you mean finger prick testing? As T1 you are entitiled to a CGM so should have one which provides constant readings - I only finger prick if Sensor is not working and losing connection (a common thing recently!), if the CGM value doesn't seem right depending on how you feel (my sensors often say I'm very low towards the end of their life, so I will double-check) - and also if I'm thinking of treating (or staving off) a hypo (and again 15 mins after treating)

Being a type 1 Diabetic
Is their anyone who thinks they can live "normally " without doing daily blood glucose tests or monitoring with a patch I'm asking as a dr lied about my dvla medical he stated I answered I dont do blood gloucose tests
So I just thought I would ask real people the question

100% could not live "normally" without monitoring my BG - if you are taking insulin it is a must

Being a type 1 Diabetic
Is their anyone who thinks they can live "normally " without doing daily blood glucose tests or monitoring with a patch I'm asking as a dr lied about my dvla medical he stated I answered I dont do blood gloucose tests
He is wrong there and is putting lives at risk, the rules clearly state that people test before driving though CGM data is accepted I believe and also every 2 hours.
Have a look at the requirements in this link

Hi @sarah'11 - I see you have started another thread expanding on your question. I'll lock this thread to make sure all replies go to your new thread.

I suppose people live normal-ish lives before they invented BG meters and had to rely on boiling up a urine sample with a reagent to get a colour, but even that was testing.
Which doctor was this? A GP or a consultant?
Do you use a sensor/CGM? How frequently do you test?

Perhaps the doctor had concerns that you were not testing often enough to manage your diabetes well and had concerns about you driving as a result?

Hi @sarah'11 - I see you have started another thread expanding on your question. I'll lock this thread to make sure all replies go to your new thread.

Ooops sorry Doc! I merged the threads before noticing you had locked one.

The posts and replies are all in one place now 🙂

Being a type 1 Diabetic
If I didn't test every day it would mean that I were in denial about my insulin-dependent diabetes. Also, driving without testing would be breaking the law.

A few years ago, I spent a couple of days of my holiday at high altitude. I had no CGM - was relying entirely upon finger pricking. However, finger pricking meters are inaccurate at high altitude - studies seems to suggest they under read . Although I loved the stunning views and the experience of being so high, I was very anxious knowing I could not rely on my finger pricks. "All" I was doing was walking; I was not operating heavy machinery. But not really knowing my BG for days and hoping I could recognise a hypo, was definitely worrying.
So, based on that experience, I can confidently say "No, I could not live a normal life without testing." And I would definitely not drive.

my dvla medical he stated I answered I dont do blood gloucose tests

This does sound a very confusing thing for a Dr to have said @sarah'11

Why did he say that you said you didn't check your blood glucose? How had he got the impression you didn't test?

This feels different to him saying that you don't need to. He seems to be reporting what he believed you said about yourself?

Hopefully you can clear up the confusion and reassure him that you do check your BG regularly and in line with the DVLA guidance (before driving, '5 to drive', and at least every 2 hrs on longer journeys)

Back