Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello Everyone,

I have taken reading before breakfast (fasting) : 5.0
After 1 hour of breakfast : 11.1
After 2 hour of breakfast: 6.9

My question, is it normal to have such a spike after 1 hour!! I just had total 15-20 carbs (porridge with blueberry).. If thats concerning Please let me know how to reduce that spike.

Hi @sachinraka5505
Looks pretty normal to me.
Blood glucose should normally spike after eating carbs, then drop back down towards previous level after about 2 hours.
The "rule of thumb" is that the level 2 hours after eating should be not more than 2 above the level before eating, which you have achieved. Also, ideally it shouldn't be higher than 8.5 at this point, which you have also achieved.
Well done! Keep it up!
Nick
PS The NHS website is a good reference, although maybe a bit scary - scroll down to the bit about target levels. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/high-blood-sugar-hyperglycaemia/

Hi @sachinraka5505
Looks pretty normal to me.
Blood glucose should normally spike after eating carbs, then drop back down towards previous level after about 2 hours.
The "rule of thumb" is that the level 2 hours after eating should be not more than 2 above the level before eating, which you have achieved. Also, ideally it shouldn't be higher than 8.5 at this point, which you have also achieved.
Well done! Keep it up!
Nick
PS The NHS website is a good reference, although maybe a bit scary - scroll down to the bit about target levels. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/high-blood-sugar-hyperglycaemia/
Thank you !!

This happens anyway whether you happen to have diabetes or not - except that those who haven't got D and therefore test their own BG, never have the slightest idea that it happens!
Thank you.. So we should avoid taking test after 1 hour, as reading mostly will not matter.

Thank you.. So we should avoid taking test after 1 hour, as reading mostly will not matter.
I'd say so.

The rationale for the 2 hour reading and 7.8 or 8.5 or whatever targets AFAIK is that this will give a rough indication of whether or not you are likely to be keeping your HbA1c to reasonable levels. Despite the Internet, I think there is no clinical evidence that "spikes" have any significance by themselves - only in whether they are high & long-lasting enough to impact yr HbA1c.

For a T2 I think fasting BG is a more important metric.

This happens anyway whether you happen to have diabetes or not - except that those who haven't got D and therefore test their own BG, never have the slightest idea that it happens!
Yes and then judge think you haveng got an handled on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back