Blood glucose reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzie Q

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I dont ususally do blood readings but, have noticed yesterday and today that my reading has gone from 7.7 on waking to 14.1 after breakfast, and i only had mini shredded wheat with skimmed milk and a cuppa. I didnt think that was a high sugar brekkie has anyone experianced this?

Hi. How long after your meal did you test? Unfortunately virtually all cereals have this effect. I havnt found a single one that doesn’t spike me no matter how much of healthy choice they appear to be, and when you factor in the fact that most are more insulin resistant in the morning it only makes matters worse. Good choices for brekki are eggs any which way or Greek yogurt with maybe a sprinkle of low carb granola. I have hi lo bread with a generous dollop of peanut butter or a low carb peanut bar. Hope this helps xx

As a diabetic it is all carbohydrates that your body struggles to tolerate not just sugar, sugar just determines the speed of the spike, on top of that some find that caffeine can have an impact too xx

I'd legit cry if coffee spiked my bloods 🙄

Anyway hello Suzie, welcome to the parts the healthcare teams don't tell you.

A lot of the T2ers test food and the effect on your bg.
Test on starting to eat and then 2 hours later. a rise of 2-3 is okay, any more and you will want to reduce the portion size and test again another time or avoid.
Defo test the same food a few times before eliminating it though as sometimes you body can be having an off day.

Hello, I dont ususally do blood readings but, have noticed yesterday and today that my reading has gone from 7.7 on waking to 14.1 after breakfast, and i only had mini shredded wheat with skimmed milk and a cuppa. I didnt think that was a high sugar brekkie has anyone experianced this?
The portion of shreddies as suggested on the packet with milk could well be 40g carb. It is not just the 'sugar' you need to take account of but the TOTAL carbohydrate.
You may need to start testing some breakfast options as that is not a good increase you want too often.

Hi. How long after your meal did you test? Unfortunately virtually all cereals have this effect. I havnt found a single one that doesn’t spike me no matter how much of healthy choice they appear to be, and when you factor in the fact that most are more insulin resistant in the morning it only makes matters worse. Good choices for brekki are eggs any which way or Greek yogurt with maybe a sprinkle of low carb granola. I have hi lo bread with a generous dollop of peanut butter or a low carb peanut bar. Hope this helps xx
Thanks Emma,
I test 30mins after, it looks like i am going to be learning quite a bit while doing testing, (I was diagnosed a few years ago but haven't really been on top of it all) but trying to get healthy and loose weight.

I'd legit cry if coffee spiked my bloods 🙄

Anyway hello Suzie, welcome to the parts the healthcare teams don't tell you.

A lot of the T2ers test food and the effect on your bg.
Test on starting to eat and then 2 hours later. a rise of 2-3 is okay, any more and you will want to reduce the portion size and test again another time or avoid.
Defo test the same food a few times before eliminating it though as sometimes you body can be having an off day.
I would be devestated if it was my cuppa doing it :(

Thanks Emma,
I test 30mins after, it looks like i am going to be learning quite a bit while doing testing, (I was diagnosed a few years ago but haven't really been on top of it all) but trying to get healthy and loose weight.
30 mins after is far too soon to test, 2 hours is the suggested time when no more than 2-3mmol/l increase is what you are looking for and as you get better control of your levels then you are aiming for no more than 8mmol/l post meal.
Coffee should have minimal impact unless of course it is very milky or specials from COSTA etc.
Cereals can be deceiving as if you eyeball a portion it will probably weigh a lot more than you think.

Almost certainly it’s the cereal that’s to blame, one of the worst things my daughter can eat is Rice Krispies, I didn’t think they were particularly sugary either and we certainly don’t add any sugar, but if she eats even a small bowl of those you can guarantee her blood sugar will go straight into orbit! You could try experimenting with different cereals, you might be lucky and find one which suits you, or you might be unlucky and have to accept that you will have to eat a different breakfast from now on. Omelettes, bacon and eggs, natural yogurt with a few nuts or berries sprinkled in are all good choices.

I just have Greek Yoghurt (2%) with raspberries/strawberries/vanilla essence and sometimes a table spoon of peanut butter mixed in and occasionally a few almonds. It doesn't affect my BG levels much at all.

30 mins after is far too soon to test, 2 hours is the suggested time when no more than 2-3mmol/l increase is what you are looking for and as you get better control of your levels then you are aiming for no more than 8mmol/l post meal.
Coffee should have minimal impact unless of course it is very milky or specials from COSTA etc.
Cereals can be deceiving as if you eyeball a portion it will probably weigh a lot more than you think.
Oops that should have said 90mins but i will leave it for 2hrs in the future hopefully that will be a better reading 🙂

I am also wondering about Glucose readings mine are really high what is a normal reading I normally test 2 hours after eating and taking metformin.

I am also wondering about Glucose readings mine are really high what is a normal reading I normally test 2 hours after eating and taking metformin.
it is more about the difference between the test at the start of your meal and 2 hours later than then overall number (which of course is important and ideally should be no more than 8.5mmol/l but for some, that just isn't possible).
A rise of no more than 2-3 mmol/l is ideal and shows you tolerated it well.

Metformin does not act directly on the food you eat it is more an overall action helping your body to use the insulin it produces more effectively. So would not specifically affect any particular meal immediately, to my best knowledge.
It does not make the carbohydrates in your meal miraculously disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back