Blood glucose monitor

jane58

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone, I need to buy a new blood glucose test kit, wondered what you lovely people would recommend ? Also can anyone tell me plz what milk I can drink rather than cows milk thanks

If you don’t like cows milk @jane58 you could try one of the plant milks. I have Koko (the original blue one). This is very neutral in taste and also low carb:

Something like Oatly is creamy but higher in carbs. There is also almond milk, hazelnut milk, hemp milk, etc.

It would be best to look at what your local shops stock and try a few to see which you like. It also depends what you’re doing with the milk. There are thicker barista milks for coffee, for example. The Koko I have is available both fresh in the chiller and also longer life on the shelf.

Hi Everyone, I need to buy a new blood glucose test kit, wondered what you lovely people would recommend ? Also can anyone tell me plz what milk I can drink rather than cows milk thanks

I use a Contour Blue, which I got for free from the manufacturers. Strips are cheap. I use it for its Bluetooth connectivity and integration into Apple Health, but the Contour meters are supposedly far more accurate than the standards require for these device.

Last edited:
If you are self funding your BG meter, the most affordable and reliable meters members here have found include the SD Gluco Navii, the Spirit Tee2, or the Contour Blue - which all have test strips at around £10 for 50. Some other brands can be 3x that much!

For plant milks, our household defaults to the Alpro No Sugar Oat Milk, which we preferred to Oatly, and was more neutral-tasting than the supermarket own-brand which was a bit 'porridgy'.

What you may find acceptable as an alternative to cow's milk may depend on why you want to swap. Lactose intolerant then buy lactose free.
It is the cost of the strips that is important when choosing a monitor so look at the cost of those. The ones mentioned by @everydayupsanddowns are ones people find good.

I only have cow's milk in my tea these days, so barely enough to be worth counting the carbs. For coffee I use Califia Farms Barista Blend oat milk.

Hi, I use a Glucose RX Q blood glucose meter, it was provided to me by my T2D Pathway To Remission service provider (Xyla Health) for free, but I understand they are pretty cheap, £10- £20 ish.
Its easy to use and easy to get spare lances / strips for, see the diabetic supply website, but you can get meters, test strips, etc from other sites too.

Hi, I use a Glucose RX Q blood glucose meter, it was provided to me by my T2D Pathway To Remission service provider (Xyla Health) for free, but I understand they are pretty cheap, £10- £20 ish.
Its easy to use and easy to get spare lances / strips for, see the diabetic supply website, but you can get meters, test strips, etc from other sites too.
Thank you for your reply 🙂

If you are self funding your BG meter, the most affordable and reliable meters members here have found include the SD Gluco Navii, the Spirit Tee2, or the Contour Blue - which all have test strips at around £10 for 50. Some other brands can be 3x that much!

For plant milks, our household defaults to the Alpro No Sugar Oat Milk, which we preferred to Oatly, and was more neutral-tasting than the supermarket own-brand which was a bit 'porridgy'.
Thank you for your reply 🙂

Back